Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Waxing/Polishing new Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing/Polishing new Paint

My car is in the shop for 2-3 weeks getting body work and a fresh hugger orange repaint done. I know everyone and theri momma is gonna want to see it when it gets home, so I want to get it as bling as possible. I've never had a car repainted other than a maaco job, so I'm wondering if there is any kind of "curing time" of the new paint? Is it safe to polish and wax with non-abrasives a day or two after I take it home?

I've heard that it's actually GOOD for new paint to let it get some sunlight for a few days after it's been painted. Is that true?

Any other recommendations?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

For non-factory paint jobs, there will be some curing time...usually a minimum of 30 days. Ask your painter his recommendation and follow his advice to keep the warranty in tact.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bodyman has always said that you can POLISH the paint, but absolutely NO SEALANTS for at least 30 days...the paint needs to breathe...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard 90 days, but same thing as what they're saying aside from the amount of days. There is definitely curing time, and definitely no sealants. Truthfully, most paint companies will tell you that sealants SHOULDN'T EVER be used because they're too much protection for today's type of paints. That the sealants and high synthetics will actually be more trouble when it's time to repaint. But, to each their own, ask the painter his recommendations and/or get in touch with the company for whatever brand paint he used.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm... thanks guys. I'll probably play it safe and not put anything on it regardless of if the painter says it's ok or not. It's getting repainted hugger orange (original color) by a chevrolet dealer, so it is a GM paint. Who actually manufacture's GM's paint?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I usually recommend 60-90 days just to be on the safe side. The recommendation is usually 30 days or more. The reason you should not use a sealant is because solvents are still evaporating from the paint, and a sealant will prevent these from escaping causing dulling of the paint. Now this is if the paint is allowed to air dry. If the shop has a baking booth, the time may be shorter. Todays paints cure through chemical reaction, and heat speeds things up. There are still products you can use, like a glaze which allows the paint to breath. In fact polishing compounds and glazes are used during the wetsanding and buffing proccess within a day or two after being painted. A wax and other products which seal the surface you don't want to use until you give the solvents time to leave the paint. I do not know who's paint gm is currently using on your vehicle, but the car companys may switch paint suppliers. They usually go with who the get the best price from. For example they may use dupont for awhile, but then get a better deal from ppg, and switch to them.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

So how much did they end up charging you for the repaint?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

There was some body work done too (car was in an accident), but the total was ~$5000 plus they're replacing my exhaust.

I can find out how much of that the painting is if you're interested?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FineWine
There was some body work done too (car was in an accident), but the total was ~$5000 plus they're replacing my exhaust.

I can find out how much of that the painting is if you're interested?
Yeah that would be cool.