Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What Impact Wrench do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Impact Wrench do you recommend?

I've been looking around and been told by several mechanics that Ingersoll-Rand is the ebst gone on the market today. I've been seeing the Thunder Gun around What do you think of that one in particular?

How about Chicago Pneumatic (Dad recommended whos a former mechanic)

Snap-On i hear isn't as great anymore, and craftsman jsut doesn't appear to be the top of the line in this sense

I need opinions with links, reviews, experience ANYTHING
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Teching In

IR 2135 is a great model I personally use the ir 2135ti its a great impact, how much are you looking to spend and how often are you going to use it? I use mine daily so I wanted one of high quality

Bryan
Old 08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

I was gonna use it fairly often- working on 3 cars in ym family, and occasionally a few friends

What else does everyone recommend
Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant go wrong with a 231 IR now thats theres all sorts of Ti modles out the old school one is even cheaper... dont buy into all that " race gun" crap my IR race gun is 1500 bucks 20k rpm....over 650ft lbs..
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

snap-on impacts are pos's, the snap-on truck that runs by the shop i work at wont even sell them. IR in my opinion
Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

IR and MAC. I got a MAC and it is heavy duty and has been kicking strong for 8 years of HEAVY use.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old boss has a MAC that looks very similar to a Thunder Gun. I think that gun would take the nuts off an elephant!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
I've been looking around and been told by several mechanics that Ingersoll-Rand is the ebst gone on the market today. I've been seeing the Thunder Gun around What do you think of that one in particular?

How about Chicago Pneumatic (Dad recommended whos a former mechanic)

Snap-On i hear isn't as great anymore, and craftsman jsut doesn't appear to be the top of the line in this sense

I need opinions with links, reviews, experience ANYTHING

Ingersoll-Rand (Granger) or Chicago Pneumatic (Rutland Tool/AirGas) are all I buy (in airtools)........

Mac and Snap-On are too exspensive for ANYTHING......

Craftsman just SUCKS BIG DONKEY ***** (the only good thing about their hand tools is you can get free replacements........anything else you just take it up the a$$).....

Huskey is made by the same people who make Craftsman (so just as SH*TTY)....

ok...I ranted....
Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Wow- Keep up wiht the suggestions I'd really love to know a little more about these as well so any info- i.e. Use, Power, Stats, Comparisons, Settings, whatever? I'd love to hear it all

Keep them coming

Adam
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow- Keep up wiht the suggestions I'd really love to know a little more about these as well so any info- i.e. Use, Power, Stats, Comparisons, Settings, whatever? I'd love to hear it all

Keep them coming

Adam

I have my "small" (3/8" drive) Ingersoll-Rand impact that I use for tight places and bolts I don't want to hammer in too tight.......I usually leave it on "full power"....

I then have my "big" (1/2" drive) Chicago Pneumatic impact that I use for everything else (wheel studs, K-member, Balancer bolt, etc.....anything that needs lots of power)....

I wish I had something in between....there are times the "small" is too small (not enough power) and the "big" is just to big to fit......

my air supply is a 5HP, 10.2CFM, 60gal, 220V compressor (got it from HomeDepot some 6 years ago for like $400.....the rings are now starting to go because it was never ment to be run as hard as I use it)........it works for impacts, ratchets, drills, and SMALL grinders but even a mid size grinder will drain it pretty fast..........pretty soon I want to upgrade the compressor (keep the motor) to a 20-25CFM twin stage (I can spend all afternoon looking through the Granger/Rultand Tool/McMaster catalog )

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-03-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

What are the chances of stripping or cracking a bolt or something by tightening it down. My dad said his old Chicago Pneumatic 1/2in used to do it all the time to wheel lugs if you werent careful-had to stop it yourself by judgment of feeling and sound. Do the IR's release the pressure once it is tight or is it the same way? I've turned from the Thunder Gun and am now looking more so @ the IR2135TI gun. Seems to be the better buy. Are there settings etc. for this one or any others. i know Craftsman has settings 1-10 so I am jsut wondering about that in particular as well.

Never owned one myself, but it would make all my jobs so much easier
Old 08-03-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

thunder gun is sweet if you work on rusted semis and need 1200 ftlbs of torque,
I have the ir ti 2135 its great and its light so it doesnt kill ur arm
Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

IR all the way . all ill ever use and now with the ti-series there lighter but still have ***** of steel. you do have to be carefull though they will break bolts easily
Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Snap-on air tools SUCK with the exception of there air ratchet The IR "ti" line is the best way to go, awesome power and light weight.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I'a VW technician, and I used to have a Snap on gun but when the IR 2135Ti came out I had to have one. Never ad a problem with it and it's really lightweight which is a big plus if you are gonna use it on a regular basis. I think its the most powerful of any 1/2 in impact not positive though. Oh btw, There is a guy at work that has one of the newer snap on 1/2 impacts which he uses just for bustin lug nuts loose and other little bs jobs. But when It comes time to replace a cv boot and he has to take the axle nut loose, He get out his IR 2135ti, because his Snap on gun has never been able to get them loose. Snap on impact guns are CRAP.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

How often or easy is it to break bolts with that 2135ti?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

What are the chances of stripping or cracking a bolt or something by tightening it down. My dad said his old Chicago Pneumatic 1/2in used to do it all the time to wheel lugs if you werent careful-had to stop it yourself by judgment of feeling and sound. Do the IR's release the pressure once it is tight or is it the same way? I've turned from the Thunder Gun and am now looking more so @ the IR2135TI gun. Seems to be the better buy. Are there settings etc. for this one or any others. i know Craftsman has settings 1-10 so I am jsut wondering about that in particular as well.

Never owned one myself, but it would make all my jobs so much easier
It takes quite a bit to brake a wheel stud (though I have ripped wheel studs that locked up on REMOVAL of the lug.....rip the stud was the only way to get the galled lug off).....you would have to be very careless and just hammer the sh*t out of the lug after it was tight and that will cause some real damage to aluminum rims......

But short answer, YES......a strong impact wrench can/will brake a bolt off/strip out threads if you don't keep up with what you are doing (just common sense really if you ask me though.......when it doubt, go slow... )....

The only kind of "stop" I know of relates to how much you open the metering valve (which isn't a stop). Most (all I would think) have a little valve/switch that sets an orphous upstream of the trigger valve to limit the max air (usually numbered 1 2 3 4 etc. power setting). This will thereby speed and torque but its not like a torque wrench where it will "click" and say "I'm torqued" but rather it just will lower the overall available power.

PERSONALLY, I don't like little "safety/cover you ***" kinds of things on my tools (or anything for that matter) because over time they lead to getting "lazy" (you know the safety will kick in so you just "punch it and go") and then one day the safety does not work and you are F*CKED!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

The IR one I have is the one they make for tire shops with the double hammer chambers. It takes a lot of air when adjusted at the max setting. But when you need to remove a rusted lug, exhaust manifold bolt, or something else, put on a good quality impact socket and its coming off right now, one way or the other.

But the adjustments are so good that I have even used it to put sheet metal screws in, and small screws in fiberglass boats. I seldom use my 3/8" air ratchet anymore unless room to work is a problem
Old 08-04-2005, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Impact Sockets vs. Standard Ratchet Sockets

Is it worth the money?
Can the Ratchet Sockets work out jsut as well?

anyone got feedback on this?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by XJOSHX
IR and MAC. I got a MAC and it is heavy duty and has been kicking strong for 8 years of HEAVY use.
i have a mac bought it 4 years ago and have been useing it to fix busted fords and nissans the last three years (ya i wrench on nissans and fords to pay for my Z28).It has been a very good gun

Quick Reply: What Impact Wrench do you recommend?