Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Cons?

Everybody has talked about the pros of headers, however are there any cons? I have heard about interior heat and are there any losses in terms of hp or tq anywhere in the RPM range?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Everybody has talked about the pros of headers, however are there any cons? I have heard about interior heat and are there any losses in terms of hp or tq anywhere in the RPM range?
Some headers have clearance issues and the engine bays do get a little hotter. Other than that I really can't think of any other cons. I'm sure there are more out there...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
SSU, come over and relax

loud = cops
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Adjusting Y pipe so it doesn't hit the floor.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keeping your foot out of the gas once they're installed
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Keeping your foot out of the gas once they're installed
haha, some arent easy to install, pacesetters have only taken people 2 hours so its not all of them, and SLP's have a ground clearance problem, finally uncoated/ non- stainless headers can rust pretty quickly, get coated pacesetters can be on your way
Old 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Leaks, Clearance, Noise. Thats all that I can think of.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then there's the whole tuning ordeal. Because LT's put the first (the important) O2 sensors further away than stock, non-tuned LT cars tend to run rich. Also you have to do something about the rear O2's whether you run cats or not. Many people run around with non-tuned headers for thousands of miles because 'one of these days' they're going to get heads and a cam and tune all of it at the same time. There's nothing wrong with that, you're just cheating yourself out of power and maybe/maybe not getting the best mileage.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Launching!

the cons would have to be changing the gaskets now and then, the stockers can go forever without changing but headers blow out sooner, unless of course you go with quality ones. On my last car I went two years before the supplied paper gaskets needed changing. So its not real bad, but still worse than the stock setup. Clearance underneath can be a problem with cats, but with an off road pipe you shouldn't have any real problems, at most you might have to slow down slightly at speed bumps. With my longtubes I noticed slightly less torque at 1500 rpm, but after that it the same or better than stock. The difference in performance is worth any problems you might encounter. They really pull from mid range to high rpm, actually its quit incredible the difference they can make, it feels like the car can just keep on going past redline and pull to no end. Another con might be the twisting of the car. I noticed right off the bat that the front end lifts up harder, faster and higher than what it did before the headers. I assume this would translate into more twisting of the body, so installing SFC's would be a worthwhile addition to keep out any new squeeks that may pop up. Having to delete codes is another problem, unless you don't care to look at the SES light, I have the OYR pipe and no sims so I get a light, although I don't notice it anymore, so its not a problem. I'm sure tuning would help get the most power and gas mileage, but I haven't noticed any dramatic differences in MPG, its about the same as it was before. I haven't noticed any extra heat or rattling from the inside of any header installs, sometimes it sounds a little smoother since the restriction is removed from the bottle-necked stockers, and the sound didn't increase just sounds more deep, although its slightly louder at full throttle, otherwise it sounds stock. An aftermarket catback would make things louder with the headers, I have the stock one coupled with a cutout. Some people get banging of the Y pipe , I did as well, but I just put one thick washer on each bolt of the stock cross brace, and that cured it right up, and mine banged and rattled something aweful. I had concidered not geting headers because of the problems that can happen, but for the price and performance you gain, they're well worth purchasing.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you stay away from SLP Long Tubes (clearance issues), there are no cons other than the ones mentioned.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I should probably change my header gaskets? I have paper ones and I know they've been on there for quite some time. A few years.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds about right. I wasn't too concerned with the clearance, loudness, tuning issues, as when I have them (QTP) installed the car will be tuned and done at a shop to avoid any banging issues.

Is there a reason that the car has less torque around 1500 RPM? Why would that happen?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a reason that the car has less torque around 1500 RPM? Why would that happen?
Less backpressure = less low-end, more mid/top-end.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

They arn't free. sorry had to be a smartass
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Would you recommend a true duals system like the Bassani True duals, or should I get an ORY? I have been torn between these two forever???
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777
So I should probably change my header gaskets? I have paper ones and I know they've been on there for quite some time. A few years.
I wouldn't change them unless they're leaking, mine were much louder and I couldn't take the extra sound anymore. I've heard of the extra fresh air throwing off the o2s, but didn't make a difference with my car.

As far as the torque being lower at 1500 rpm, it really isn't much different, some people probably don't even notice, I just have to push the gas down slightly more than at that rpm than before, and its out of there so quick it really doesn't matter.