Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator gauge gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alternator gauge gone bad?

Well,
For the last 6 months, i have been battling a voltage problem. Or at least i thought. I am rumming a brand new alternator/Red Top Optima setup. It seems that my voltage gauge is getting interferance somewhere. When all my lights are off, and just driving around, my voltage gauge slowly drops down to the yellow area, and sits there. To make things even more confusing, when i turn on my headlights, the voltage reading jumps up to 13.1-14v just like it should be. This worried me for quite a while, and could never figure it out. Well, just for the hell of it, i manually checked the battery under all conditions, and low and behold, at the battery terminals, my battery is pumping out just like she's supposed to be, and it seems my factory gauge is screwy. Is it possible i have grounded it out somehow? Some one that is smooth with wiring, you got any ideas? What should my next plan of action be?! This is about to get on my last nerve!

Thanks!