Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

HELP...drag racing Q.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP...drag racing Q.

well, ill tell ya all the story. last night a few friends and i went out to the middle of nowhere for a race. this is the first time ive raced my car. there were only cars running, but everyone hanging out. the 3 cars racing were mine (in sig), a 95 LT1 M6 T/A with headers and dumps, stage III clutch, and an intake, and an eaton 10 bolt rear end. he also had 295 nitto 555's. the other car was a stock 98 A4 T/A. i only raced the LT1 but he beat the A4 98 by two cars. this kid can drive. he's had the car for 3 years so he knows what it can do, and how to do it. good racer....well i line up with him. we get the drop from a person standing between us and we take off. im dead even with him out of the hole which i was quite proud of given his clutch, and how long hes had his car and the fact that the LT1's have more torque down low. but we get up to 60 and hes still with me and inching forward. but given my torque peak is at 4600 and his is at 3500, i figured id be pulling on him but i wasnt. i lost by half a car the first time. the second time i roasted first and i never gained on him. whats the deal?

and before anyone asks if hes done anything i dont know about, no he has not, hes one of my good friends and when we mod, we tell each other. he dyno-ed 278 and i dynoed 320. i read something about a floormat sometimes being the culprit. im hoping thats the case. what you guys' opinions?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

well considering the fact that you dyno'd 30whp higher than he did you should have smoked him....next time you race maybe pull the floormat back or set it in the trunk....the floormat thing happened to my bro in his camaro before
Old 08-02-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

this was your first race and prob his 100th, keep practicing, it could have also been you had a full tank of gas, just ate dinner and had the spare wheel in the trunk, and he didnt eat dinner, didnt have the spare wheel and only had 1/4 a tank of gas
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
this was your first race and prob his 100th, keep practicing, it could have also been you had a full tank of gas, just ate dinner and had the spare wheel in the trunk, and he didnt eat dinner, didnt have the spare wheel and only had 1/4 a tank of gas
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You both should weigh your cars. Try a truck weigh station. They may help you out.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
You both should weigh your cars. Try a truck weigh station. They may help you out.
i thought about this. but i think he would be heavier. I'm a camaro, hes a T/A. so theres a couple light motors that i dont have so he's a little heavier. Im an LS1 so im aluminum and hes an LT1 (steel). so my logic was, if anyones heavier, its him. if anyone knows anything about the weight difference, please chime in.

Search this Thread