Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to simulate the EGR or make the computer think it is functioning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyway to simulate the EGR or make the computer think it is functioning?

I would like to ditch the EGR on my 1998 Z28 but live in tree hugging hippie California.

Just something about putting burnt exhaust back in my intake that bugs me !

Is there anyway to have it still hooked up but not operating?

In other words, could I put a plate between the EGR tube and the header so that it could not suck up the exhaust but look like it is?

Or a resistor to plug in place of it?

Basically, it needs to look stock physically and in the computer but not work. Is there anyway to do that?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of like the skip shift fix it yourself deal.. I'd also like to delete my EGR, but don't want to pay for a tune yet.

I have no idea. I'll be mooching off your thread, if you don't mind..
Old 08-03-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres got to be something that you can plug into the EGR plug, like an O2 simm, but EGR simm.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will still need a computer tune if you want to do it right, because the computer adds timing to compensate for the exhaust flow into the intake. You could probably keep the EGR tube connected so it looks like it's functioning, but run a block off plate underneath the egr tube. Then use hp tuners or something to delete the egr and not throw any "not ready codes." I have the SLP LS6 intake with all the egr leak complaints. I haven't had a leak yet, but if I do I might try something like this.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Yes they make a plug in, i bought it for my 2000 monte (a 3.8 i know but i was younger and couldnt afford the insurance, i own a z28 now, and the monte has heads, cam, nitrous, and plenty others to make it much faster)

anyways, they guys said the same egr sim would work on the LS1, i plugged it in on mine, and drove around for about 20miles with no ses light, then the ses turned on, i did a scan, and one of my O2's nuked, so it was unrelated to the egr....i will find out or actaully go to zzperformance.com.....ignore the fact its a 3800 site and go look for the electronics section, its a small black box a little larger then a 9v battery, works good for a cheap fix
Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

You could probably trick it, but it won't run like it's supposed to without a tune to adjust the timing.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

In my best opinion, stop with the work-around plug-ins. Get it tuned and have it deleted from your PCM. Any of the high-end tuning software suites can do it, or have a RWTD tune from the sponsor. You wont have to worry about it again, and you will save money in the long run (ie, when you delete your rear O2's, you won't need to buy sims; and you can eliminate the other things that I am sure you are looking to as well, AIR, CAGS, all that can be taken out of your PCM).

Better than "tricking" the computer, just reprogram it.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can trick the computer to thinking the EGR is installed and working.

i did it. i have an LS6 intake W/ no EGR and the hole EGR system has been in the trash for a year. and i just passed smog last month!

my tuner told me that with hp tuners.... you can turn of the "triggers" that will send a ses light. theres like (7-8) triggers, just turn them all of and your done!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
In my best opinion, stop with the work-around plug-ins. Get it tuned and have it deleted from your PCM. Any of the high-end tuning software suites can do it, or have a RWTD tune from the sponsor. You wont have to worry about it again, and you will save money in the long run (ie, when you delete your rear O2's, you won't need to buy sims; and you can eliminate the other things that I am sure you are looking to as well, AIR, CAGS, all that can be taken out of your PCM).

Better than "tricking" the computer, just reprogram it.
When you live in California, tricking the computer into thinking you have it is the only thing you can do. If you delete the EGR with tuning, you will throw a "not ready" code at smog. It only takes two of these codes to automatically fail.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-08-2022)
Old 08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Teching In

when i posted about the plug in, it was just to answer the question, is there a sim and yes there is, however all the people saying to do it in the tune are 100% correct....as for cali you wont through not ready if its done right

unfortunately i cant tell you what right is, but in my car....i have no egr, no rear o2's, no cats, and when they plug into the car it reads

Heat O2's OK
EGR OK
etc...

although the guy who did it used a tech2, not the regular software, but you can always pass emissions...with the right computer....

if you want to get a hold of the guy who did my computer let me know, i dont know if he wants it public he does that i can give him a call....but my computer shows no missfires or anything.....unfortunatley trouble shooting becomes harder when your computer is always telling you everything is perfect, that car could be on 7 cylinders, dripping gas from the tailpipes and still pass emissions.....
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

I was under the impression that you could turn the code off and still have no "not ready" codes. Not ready codes will kill any computer emissions test, even ones not in Cali.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CH3NO2
however all the people saying to do it in the tune are 100% correct....as for cali you wont through not ready if its done right
I have the rear O2s on my car correctly removed from the computer and it throws a "not ready." There no way around it.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the rear O2s on my car correctly removed from the computer and it throws a "not ready." There no way around it.
as far as the EGR. its not removing anything from the computer. its just turning off the triggers. it works with egr great. but not sure about 02's ill have to ask my tuner.

but if the o2's have triggers, than they can be turned off! not the sensors themselves, just the triggers.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: I have the rear O2s on my car correctly removed from the computer and it throws a "not ready." There no way around it.

You can delete the rear o2's and egr both and not throw a "not ready" code. You can do this with hp tuners. Some people just turn the o2's and EGR off and this will show "not ready." Just take your car to a competent tuner and you won't have any problems. You can just turn them off and you will show a "not ready" code, or you can turn them off and tell the computer not to report(so to speak), and it will show that they are on and functioning even when they are not.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Redneck is right, you tell the computer not to report any errors for the egr and O2 codes. I've done it to my car. Very easy to do with HP Tuners.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-08-2022)
Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick Reply: Anyway to simulate the EGR or make the computer think it is functioning?