Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR-1 Loss of power!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR-1 Loss of power!!

I have a 98 TA and just recently put paceseter LT, with a TSP ORY on a TSP Rumbler Catback. Everything was fine, raspy but fine. I figured i'd put an XR-1 in place of the bullet that was there to clean up the sound. And while it sounds great, i feel like the car is slower now than before the Header install. When i am moving at wot the car pulls hard, but off the line and part throttle, the car has no ***** at all. There is this dead spot in the pedal. Before i was confident about coming off the line hard, now i just dont bother. I will be getting the car tuned in a couple of weeks. I hope its a tuning thing. If i still feel down on power i will get a cutout or go back to the bullet.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seriously doubt any power loss is muffler related.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Thern what could it be? On the way to the exhaust shop the car was a rocket, and i watched the guy cuto the old resonator off and weld up the new muffler. We checked for leaks on the entire system. As soon as i left, i had no power.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Catchy title, but I seriously doubt the muffler is to blame. You might want to take a peak in there and see if your muffler shop blocked the pipes.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bigman
Thern what could it be? On the way to the exhaust shop the car was a rocket, and i watched the guy cuto the old resonator off and weld up the new muffler. We checked for leaks on the entire system. As soon as i left, i had no power.
With out any more information, such as log files, it would be hard to guess. do you have an SES?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

There is no way they blocked the pipe, because i watched them weld it up in the same location the resonator was. And i dont have any logs because i havent had a programmer hooked up to the car. It will be dyno tuned so i will find out whats up then. Either way i think a manual cutout will solve my problem for now.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are the XR-1's directional? Maybe they put it on backwards.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going to be the first to step in here and say that it's not the muffler at all, but rather the full exhaust system you just put on. The stock manifolds are rather restrictive, as is the stock Y-pipe with cats, and the stock catback.

You just put on longtube headers, a much bigger y-pipe with no catalytic converters, and a catback with a muffler you added in that flows MUCH better than stock. You're used to feeling a bunch of backpressure, but now there isn't as much. This has often been known to make the car feel slower off the line when just adding headers. But you did the entire exhaust and now you're noticing that lack of backpressure (at least compared to before). It only feels slower though, but don't worry. With your setup, I'm sure you've added a good 40 hp easily. It's just that part of your powerband has been partially shifted up higher in the rev range. You'll get used to it and quickly forget what it used to feel like. I have full exhaust and a lid and I can't even remember what my car felt like when stock.

I'm willing to put all my chips in on this bet and say that's what's causing your "problem". Don't worry about it.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need a tune ... your car is dumping tons of fuel ... you have a loss of HP/TQ because of it. Same thing happened when I ditched my LS1 intak, stock throttle body, JBA shorties and CATS. Costed me tons of power ... not much was adjusted on the tune ... mostly just the A/F ... was running waaaaaay rich.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I'm going to be the first to step in here and say that it's not the muffler at all, but rather the full exhaust system you just put on. The stock manifolds are rather restrictive, as is the stock Y-pipe with cats, and the stock catback.

You just put on longtube headers, a much bigger y-pipe with no catalytic converters, and a catback with a muffler you added in that flows MUCH better than stock. You're used to feeling a bunch of backpressure, but now there isn't as much. This has often been known to make the car feel slower off the line when just adding headers. But you did the entire exhaust and now you're noticing that lack of backpressure (at least compared to before). It only feels slower though, but don't worry. With your setup, I'm sure you've added a good 40 hp easily. It's just that part of your powerband has been partially shifted up higher in the rev range. You'll get used to it and quickly forget what it used to feel like. I have full exhaust and a lid and I can't even remember what my car felt like when stock.

I'm willing to put all my chips in on this bet and say that's what's causing your "problem". Don't worry about it.
It would be it if i had swithced to a higher flowing exhaust and lost back pressure, but i actually went from a TSP Rumbler with a resonator to a borla mouth setup that has a little more backpressure. I just think it is a tuning issue, plus the heat we are getting here in NY lately.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

This is exactly how I've been feeling since yesterday.