Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP catted y woes/question.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP catted y woes/question.

Hello,

I have a 1998 Camaro SS which I have just recently had QTP LT headers, QTP catted y and a Magnaflow cat back installed on. The car runs and sounds great and I enjoy it quite a bit... however...

This morning I noticed a wonderful rattle coming from under the driver's side door, just about exactly where the cats are located. I've had the system installed for less than 3 weeks and it seems as though the material from within the cats themselves has come loose and is rattling around.

The question is... does anybody know the best place to get a piece of stainless pipe that will fit in place of the cats? my local exhaust guy doesn't stock 3 inch diameter pipe and I"m wondering if the QTP ORY would have a section that would fit perfectly in the catted pipes place... but it seems QTP's website image hosting is broken as I was looking through their online store for comparisons between the catted y and the ory.

I figure the best way to eliminate the problem is to eliminate the cats entirely because they also kill my ground clearance so if anyone has found a nice piece of stainless that fits in their place perfectly please chime in.

Thanks, John.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Launching!

seem to be seeing a lot of these posts lately with people having problems with their QTP catted y pipes......do a search on it, in answer to your question though.....you should be able to get 3" pipe at almost any exhaust shop so if your guy doesn't keep it in stock....somebody else will i promise.....just so you know though, if you remove those cats it will dramatically effect the sound of your exhaust....ie, louder, higher pitch, and RASP!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

I did a search and though I did find a few good examples of people who replaced the cats that came with the QTP pipe with a different brand and were satisfied, it had cost them 300+ dollars for the new cats.

I just can't imagine paying another couple hundred dollars over the $525 I already paid for the Y pipe less than 3 weeks ago to fix a problem with defective cats. I figure in order to preserve my sanity, my dollars, and gain the ground clearance that I lost (quite a bit) I should just replace the cats with a clean piece of pipe, which is why I was wondering if the QTP section from the ORY will fit in there without too much hassle.

Thanks for the input though, I suppose I wouldn't want it to rasp badly.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Launching!

yeah that was me......it sucked but i did what i had to do.......just letting you know the consequences of taking your cats out......BTW if you're willing to cut up your $525 y-pipe to put off road pipes into it, you might as well do it right or.......you could just sell the sumbitch since it's only 3 weeks old, have an ORY on the way so there is no downtime.......just put it on a CC then pay off when you sell your QTP catted Y.....but in answer to your question, i don't know if the QTP section of the ORY will fit in there and what are you planning on doing??? buying a QTP ORY and cutting it up to have the sections you need so you have two cut up y-pipes or what??? i'm not following you there.........

Last edited by slpss9723; 08-03-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

I plan on calling the distributor of my QTP product, and then QTP themselves to see if they will replace the cat section of pipe with a clean section, which is why I was wondering if anyone had done something similar (but I suppose while I"m on the phone with them I could just ask lol).

That's right, that was your thread... that looked awesome and I would really enjoy a setup like yours, excellent ground clearance, looked very clean. I just can't afford to do that right now... It simply doesn't seem right to pay this kind of money for a y pipe to have it defect in less than a month, I'll just have to get on the phone with them.

I simpily don't want to deal with rattling cats/watching out for every road abnormality if I get the exact same replacement parts from QTP, which is why I'm leaning towards non catted pipe.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Launching!

join the club.......so what caused the problem? did it scrape and damage the cat to where the **** inside started rattling or what?? yeah like i said in the other posts on this subject, hindsight is 20/20....if i had it to do over again i wouldn't bother with QTP at all.......would have gotten Kooks with custom y.......if you call, ask Barry why so many people have rust on their headers if "their headers don't rust" he also says their are no ground clearance issues with their setup even on lowered cars.....that's all the stuff i was told anyway when i talked with him, but i'm through with my rant....it just concerns me now, the more and more i see these threads about the quality of their stuff, oh well i've washed my hands of it.....maybe someday i'll sell the LTs and get Kooks if i can scrape the money together
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not really sure what caused them to come loose, they were fine yesterday... I'm guessing the vibration from WOT or something just caused them to shake loose... but I'm going to get under the car later for a better look.

Yea, I was quite dissapointed at the ground clearance the first time I saw them on the car, my car isn't lowered at all, in fact... it almost looks jacked up, yet I still need to come to a full stop before any inclines/small speed bumps. They sound great, and they feel great, but for the most expensive header/y-pipe combo they should really spend a bit more time making them fit the car, because currently they fit like crap.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aceldama
The y pipe is adjustable. Sounds like you dont have the right angle on the passenger side pipe. Readjust it. When installed properly they do not hang low. Just takes more effort then a one piece y pipe. As for you bad cat. Do you have the car tuned. Cause if you dont that could be the cause for it going bad. As you know we dont make the cats. They are made by magnaflow. And if you are hitting the cat on speed bumps, that will loosen up the brick inside.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my first Y-pipe (SLP), the cat broke apart within a few weeks as well.
I gutted it, and put it back on (gut both if you do this). Worked fine, no need for 3" pipe.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick Time
Aceldama
The y pipe is adjustable. Sounds like you dont have the right angle on the passenger side pipe. Readjust it. When installed properly they do not hang low. Just takes more effort then a one piece y pipe. As for you bad cat. Do you have the car tuned. Cause if you dont that could be the cause for it going bad. As you know we dont make the cats. They are made by magnaflow. And if you are hitting the cat on speed bumps, that will loosen up the brick inside.
i had mine adjusted several times and it still scraped, though the ground clearance did improve marginally after each effort i finally said oh well $525 lesson learned and got a custom y done........
Old 12-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Angry My cat also took a dump!

Just read your thread about noises and shook my head. I was hearing the same thing on my passenger side, so I took off the y pipe; lo and behold, there was the honeycomb lying inside the cat. I'm thinking of a 2.5" y pipe replacement now. Gotta luv those aftermarket parts!

Search this Thread