Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend has a tranny problem..ideas?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Friend has a tranny problem..ideas?

Friend of mind has a tranny problem but we cant figure out what it is, any ideas...

"4l60E with TCI 3000 stall. Broke two flexlates then I put a TCI SFI plate on it and has worked fine for the last year. Monday on the way home from work I was at about 55 and stomped on it (no I wasn't spraying) it down shifted two gears pulled a little at first then nothig... at all. Coasted to a stop. Car starts and runs with out shimmie or noises, which was a problem with the broken flexplate before. I inspected the plate and converter the are still intact. I have park but when I put it in to any gear... nothing. No change in Idle, nothing almost as if I had not shifted the car into a gear. The shifter cable is still hooked up. I have narowed it down to either something in the converter or the tranny itself, but if it was the tranny, I don't think all the gears would be gone and I would hear somthing, so I am leaning toward the stall. If it is the stall how can I tell just short of taking it to some who is going to rip me off and tell me to buy a new even if there is nothing wrong with it. Send help fast!"

Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've seen working at the tranny shop it sounds like the splines on the input shaft stripped off or the sun shell broke which is common on this transmission....
Old 08-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the exact same problem with the exact same converter. I replaced the tranny with a known good one using the converter and still no change. glad this isn't my car.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he took out the converter and it was bone dry....i guess the problem was the pump after all!

Search this Thread