Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Wiring Troubles :'(

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Wiring Troubles :'(

I'm thinking about puting my trucks system into my car and I was wondering through what holes can I put the odd gauge wire through, its kinda big and i'm not sure it will fit throught the sides like it did on my truck anybody use odd gauge on these cars before?!?! Pics are greatly welcomed or a writup on the net THANK YOU

Jesus
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 4ga wire from my amp (behind back seat) to my trunk, through the side moldings, under the drivers plastic molding on the lower door molding and through the firewall -I had to do a little drilling with a snake drill - but it worked just fine.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned

Eh I drilled a hole in my truck but I was curious as to if I could do it w/o drilling a hole
Old 08-05-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

I wired mine up using 2 guage wire for the amp. Basically went the same route hiding it behind the plastic moldings on the passenger side all the way from the trunk to the glove box. At that point if you remove the plastic kick panel right below the glove box and bend your body like it wasnt meant to bend you'll be able to see a rubber gromet in which you can feed the power wire through. You'll have to unbolt the computer? in the engine compartment to reach it on that side and just go to the battery from there. Just letting you know that its possible. I dont know what you mean by odd guage wire but I did it with 2 guage and absolutely no drilling so I'm thinking you shouldnt have too much trouble. (I say too much because getting a 2 guage wire through that gromet is a PITA but its possible)
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make life easier, pull out the front passenger seat. Unless you're a really big guy you should be able to get in there quite comfortably and see the grommet once you remove the kickpanel and the black under glovebox cover.

Becareful when unscrewing the PCM bolts.. Mine were all rusted, and I snapped one.

I ended up pulling the passenger side windshield guard so I could squeeze my hand down there.

I'm sure the grommet will accommodate a 0 gauge wire quite easily (diameter wise), but it will be a bitch to get it started. Thread a coat hanger or some solid 14 or 16 gauge wire to get things started, then pull your 0/1/2/4/whatever gauge wire through. Besure to seal it up good with silicoln or rtv (or whatever you got on hand) when done.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Remove your PCM on your passenger side engine compartment look there there will be a grommet big enough to fit a few runs of 0 gauge wire.

I ran my 0 gauge through there with no problem whats so ever.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:01 AM
Banned

Pics of the pcm removed how the hell would I go about removing it too its a damn tight fit Thanks

Jesus
Old 08-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

I don't know to get back there or how to put the ecu back after the wire is in there :'(

Old 08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Locate the PCM up against the firewall on the passenger side. Remove two 10mm bolts and slide the PCM out of the way. No need to disconnect it. Just move it aside. Look down there and you will see a large rubber grommet with wires already running through it. You will need to remove the passenger side interior kick panel (4 phillips screws) and also the "hush" panel under the glove box (2 push pins) to gain access to the other side of that grommet. Squeeze your power wire through that. It may be tough, but 0awg will fit through there with some work.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

i have 4 awg and my led lights as well as my nitrous line ran through that gromet under the computer.no prob.i went down through the firewall and into the car.removeing the passenger seat is a good idea for better view and more room for the wire.i did that when i ran all my **** through.other than that i ran mine along the passenger side into the trunk and cut slits in the carpet in the well to hide the wires in exception to what is goin to the amp.my amp is in the well.good luck
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

the comp is a pain in the *** to get back in by the way.i move over the wiring harness and play with it till it drops.leave the comp in the holder when u do.much easier.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

To remove that comp I unbolted the two 10mm bolts holding the mounting plate, when I got that loose I held the two plastic tabs on the sides of teh computer back and it slid right out. To put it back I just reversed the procedure. Used a screw driver to punch through the rubber grommet and ran the power wire along the carpet next to the door.