Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need paint help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need paint help

a friend of mine needs a door on his camaro painted, ive done a lil painting before, but not much. i know i need to sadn, primer, sand base coat sand and then clear. my question is, what can i use to get the paint thats on there now, and any other tips/advice would be cool

ps the only reason were doin it, cuz he wanted to get it professionally but we figure why not try it ourselves and if its crappy just take it to the shop anyways
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you are after, are you trying to find the correct color. If so look on the drivers door jamb, on the ID tag there should be a few numbers that say something along the bottom BC/CC those numbers are the ID for the color. Any paint dealer can set you up with a good match if not perfect for that year.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't have to sand the base coat if you do not get trash in it when your matching factiry paint...and if you have a metalic color, you can not sand the base w/o respraying a coat of base on top of it. You basically need to tap off what you want to paint(don't forget to do the inside of where the door shuts or you will get overspray). Then scotch pad or wet sand the entire area. Next, you can put on your sealer and after that you can start spraying your base coat untill it covers(usually 3 or 4 coats). The you can go ahead and put 3 or 4 coats of clear on it. After it dries completely, you can wet sand the clear with 1500 or 2000 and buff it out and it should match the factory paint.