Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant crossover tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant crossover tube?

I have seen some engines that instead of the crossover tube that connects the heads, just have a block off of some sort on the heads. Was this something that came factory on some of the engines and if so does anyone know what year and car so I could order them.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batoutahell
I have seen some engines that instead of the crossover tube that connects the heads, just have a block off of some sort on the heads. Was this something that came factory on some of the engines and if so does anyone know what year and car so I could order them.

Thanks
I have been looking into this, I have a 2000 LS1, got the FAST LSX intake manifold in the instructions it mentions about buying some GM parts to block up the rear coolany hold and have a different front coolant pipe. Installation instructions in http://www.fuelairspark.com/Technica...structions.pdf
Page 3 states.....
Replace with GM part number 12568478 front only crossover, and (2) 12563325 plugs. Torque vent pipe bolts to 12 N/m (106 in/lbs).

i am installing this tommorow, but the pipes are well expensive, well $20 in US, but like $100 in UK England. So I am going to cut the pipe and reroute it around the edge.

The 2001 and 2002 Trans-Am has an LS6 intake and this pipe is routed around the edge, not under the manifold.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Can you just block them all off or is there a reason for them? I was told that it is there to help warm the engine in cold climates or something like that. This engine is going into a project and I dont need to worry about most things, if I can block them all off and not worry about some other problem I will just do that.

Thanks again
Paul
Old 08-05-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock ls1 intake has a x shaped tube like this

ls6 intake manifolds just have the front tube (goes from head to head then has a rubber hose to the TB). in the back there are 2 block off plugs. it is not advised to install 4 block offs, even if u did the tb bypass mod.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Is it advised not to install 4 block offs because air could get trapped in the heads?

I have the one that is pictured, this engine is in a sandrail and so I dont have any of the stock stuff. I was told by someone else that I could run a line from the crossover to the upper radiator hose and that would be sufficient.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

You can also use two front pipes, so I guess if you're already cutting the stock pipe you could just cut and bend it to connect the back two openings and then saw off and seal the front one to connect to the front two.

I just bought two front pipes and plugged the hose for the back two connectors. I'll show you a picture if you want.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

I'd like to see a picture.