New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a little speed toy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a little speed toy...

well...ive been having this debate with myself "to mod my SS or not?" its a very nice and smooth car, no rattles, 12,000 miles on it now. and i never had the heart to start cutting on it...its a perfect machine. so that got to me and i went and bought a friends 82 S-10...doesnt sound like much i know...but adding a 383, NOS, a *****'s carb, 3.73's, a 3 speed automatic racing trans with hurst automatic shifter, full exhaust, 315 BFG drag radials and 400 horsepower does make it a blast. ill get pics up when i actually get it home. the friend i bought it from is a mechanic and we still have to fix some things. it was his project but he's fallen on some hard times and had to sell it. when i take it to work ill get it on the dyno and let my boss go to town on a tune...thatd do the truck wonders. when this thing was run in the 1/8th it ran a 7.5. the NOS hasn't been used yet. but as i said it still needs some work. according to the guy it needs a roller cam that he'll get me the specs on, some new stainless steel headers, and a tune. i also need to take the carb back to work and do a rebuild on it, just cuz i work there and all, its not a necessity but itd make me feel better. anyway, sorry for the book, ill get pics up sometimes over the next week.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

I think if I had to do it all over now id of just bought another vehicle to race insted of moding my car. Good decision man!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd mod it, what happens once it gets more miles on it, nothing really seperates it from the other SS's, i'd love to have had a really low mile car to mod right away
Old 08-06-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the minute i have money (only 18 with $300/month payments) i'll begin modding my Camaro, so what if she's got 72k miles on it, she was built to be a brute and tahts wha she'll do, her ansecters would agrea
Old 08-06-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol oh yeah i forgot, love the s-10's with teh v8's in them, my friend had one and it was scary as hell, all that power in alil light truck
Old 08-07-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
love the s-10's with teh v8's in them, my friend had one and it was scary as hell, all that power in alil light truck

i know...they are awesome. this one, before its tune went out of wack, dyno-ed 400 HP so its a fast truck. it has its biggest issues hookin up. on a g-tech, more than once, we ran a 12.6 and trapped 125 but the 60' was horrid. ill work on getting it right this winter and bring it out next spring.

the main issues with modding the SS is that i want to keep it for a long time, its not my daily driver, its averaged 2000 miles a year and this year is no different. i plan on this car being around 30 years down the road so i baby it. so therefore, the S-10 was purchased as a hell raising machine.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

by the way...if anyone has any experience with carb-ed 383's and has advice...i want all the advice i can get so please post.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

after having fuel injection on my old street/strip beater i'm starting to despise my carb.i seem to be jetting it all the time and fouling plugs more and more,but when it's right i love it, there ain't nothing like laying 2 200 foot long stripes.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow trap
after having fuel injection on my old street/strip beater i'm starting to despise my carb.i seem to be jetting it all the time and fouling plugs more and more,but when it's right i love it, there ain't nothing like laying 2 200 foot long stripes.
http://www.willyscarbs.com/WillysHPCarburetors.htm

check that link slow trap and this is what kind of carb I have. I also work at this shop. Our metering blocks are externally adjustable which keep us from have to re-jet. and you are right about the "when it's right, I love it." couldn't have said it better. BTW...tell me what ya think of that carb. pricey...but there's a reason.