Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going LT's, keep Borla or go True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Going LT's, keep Borla or go True Duals?

Hello. Well i am gettig LTs soon, prolly pacesetters. I have borla exhaust right now. I cant decide whether to keep the Borla and ditch my cats and go ORY with the LT's or ditch the borla and cats and go true duals with X pipe or maybe Bullet mufflers. What do you guys think is the meanest sounding exhaust with LTs? Something that just makes you say, dam that car sounds like it fuggin powerful? lol. I will be getting a cam later too. What do you suggest? Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am putting Borla's on my true duals...
Old 08-06-2005, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NOT do ORY with borla. I personally would only go ORY with something like hooker or magnaflow. Cheap, high flow right, quality sound and not very loud.

The best and meanest sounding exhaust is DEFINATELY duals.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So you think X pipe and bullets for true duals?, Or does true duals not require a Y or X pipe? I think I def want True duals considering i have heard nothing but good things from them. I want a effing mean sound, loud, deep, and scarey. Would i just add a true duals set up to my LTs or would i have to have true duals wtih X pipe and bullets? I am a little confused o nwhat true duals consist of. thanks

Old 08-06-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
So you think X pipe and bullets for true duals?, Or does true duals not require a Y or X pipe? I think I def want True duals considering i have heard nothing but good things from them. I want a effing mean sound, loud, deep, and scarey. Would i just add a true duals set up to my LTs or would i have to have true duals wtih X pipe and bullets? I am a little confused o nwhat true duals consist of. thanks
FYI: I just put coated Pacesetters on with a TSP catted y and it sounds mean as anything! I love the sound! I also have a TR224 cam, so it has a nice deep tone too. I would def. recommend my setup to someone else!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Launching!

a real true dual system consist of an X pipe after your longtubes either 2.5/3inch piping and a muffler of your choice... most used would probably be a bullet muffler.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok so you think the meanest sounding set up would be the 3" true duals with X pipe with bullet mufflers? Now would the true duals come all the way out to the bumper so i can use my borla tips? I think it would looks funny without tips on a TA. Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would never go TD unless its over the axle. i hate the damn interior noise from a cut out in the i pipe. i'd go with borla over TD
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man the td would be sick, its all in what you prefer.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hmm. Well i hear from many that keeping the Borla and going LTs with ORY sounds aweful. I also hear that True duals threw X pipe is the best flowing exhaust you can get and also sounds so loud and mean. So lets have a vote here...... Everyone post what they think is the meanest sounding exhaust set up on a basically stock LS1 with bolt ons and cam. I am leaning towards TD's / x pipe and bullets and having them comemout to the bumper with my borla tips. Is that possible and would it change any sound/performance? Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm. Well i hear from many that keeping the Borla and going LTs with ORY sounds aweful.

It sounds raspy, mean and nasty, but raspy and kinda annoying.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
It sounds raspy, mean and nasty, but raspy and kinda annoying.
That about covers it.

Superman: Read the exhaust guide sticky! And search. There is a lot of into on this site about duals. If you want tips on searching read jrp's sticky in the new enthusiasts section called getting started at ls1tech.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok well i read the exhaust review. Very nice help although not many running TD's. However i gathered that TD's dumped produce somewhat of an annoying drone in the interior and bring it out to the bumper eliminates this and makes it a little deeper which is exactly what i want and can use my Borla tips! So i think i am set of going with Speed Inc's 3" True Dual set up with 3 " X pipe and bullet mufflers and use my borla tips with coated pacesetter LT's. Im pumped. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Launching!

yes you can extend it out to the back.... its not easy to do though.. and it normally cost a good amount.. IMO I prefer the sound of it dumped..

True duals in most cases make the most power.. although cant deny a nicely set up Y set up with a good collector..

the ORY and the Borla have a rasp sound to them that is not really desirable...
Old 08-07-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

True Duals all the way...
Old 08-07-2005, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok yea, i think im gunna pay the extra to get them to exit out the back so i dont get the interior drone and i can use tips to finish the look of the rear end.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

interior drone with dumps can be avoided if you use the right mufflers, the bullet will drone the most out of any muffler IMO, I would also consider ground clearance with the duals since you are lowered. Have you listened to a LT, ORY, Borla setup IN PERSON? Have you listen to an X pipe IN PERSON? Any sound clip online won't do any justice for any exhaust because each sound clip are all different qualities. I've heard many sound clips online of exhaust and heard them in person and they sound TOTALLY different. IMO I would run the borla since it's already on the car and see if you like it, if not, then sell the borla and ORY and use that for an X pipe setup, it's all about what YOU like, it's YOUR car, YOU will be driving it. Some people love the sound of LT's, ORY, LM, personally I think it sounds like complete *** but that my opinion. Listen to some cars in person, it's the best way to make a decision!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello. Well i am gettig LTs soon, prolly pacesetters. I have borla exhaust right now. I cant decide whether to keep the Borla and ditch my cats and go ORY with the LT's or ditch the borla and cats and go true duals with X pipe or maybe Bullet mufflers. What do you guys think is the meanest sounding exhaust with LTs? Something that just makes you say, dam that car sounds like it fuggin powerful? lol. I will be getting a cam later too. What do you suggest? Thanks
if you do true duals with your lowering set up i think your gonna scrape everything in sight
Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

The lowest point is the same on a y-pipe car as it is with a good set of duals.
The area right behind the driver's side collector. My dumped duals are no lower than a 3" ORY would be.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

here, this should tell you what to do with your borla. i swapped from the borla to the bassani tru-dual system. picked up 15 rwhp.