Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Problem on a car I sold...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problem on a car I sold...

...I sold my 99 WS6 to a guy in Charleston not too long ago. Right before I sold it I had the AC system serviced by a whole in the wall shop here in town. Well come to find out we think they put a ground wire from the AC Relay to the body making the compressor run non stop. The guy I sold it to took it to Firestone and had the AC compressor replaced since it fried a few days after I sold it to him. Now it's gone through 5 ac compressors!! The kicker is when they remove that wire the AC will never kick on when it's fully serviced thus something isn't right. Anyone have any idea's??

-Sly
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt

-Sly
Old 08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never fooled with these before, but I believe a faulty pressure switch would hold the compressor out or an actual low or high pressure condition.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

does the guy have a multimeter? if so, he can look for voltage at the different relay pins. or he can use a Tech II or something to see if the PCM is commanding the A/C compressor ON. i don't have a schematic in font of mee, but most relays are marked so he should be able to tell what terminals in the relay socket should be grounded, hot or neither. also, tell him to check for voltage between pins 'A' and 'B' on the connector on the A/C pressure switch. there should only be voltage between those two pins when the control panel is in a position to use the compressor(ie- not in "OFF" or one of the heater/vent settings)
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool will do thanks guys!

-Sly
Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by slyws6
...I sold my 99 WS6 to a guy in Charleston not too long ago. Right before I sold it I had the AC system serviced by a whole in the wall shop here in town. Well come to find out we think they put a ground wire from the AC Relay to the body making the compressor run non stop. The guy I sold it to took it to Firestone and had the AC compressor replaced since it fried a few days after I sold it to him. Now it's gone through 5 ac compressors!! The kicker is when they remove that wire the AC will never kick on when it's fully serviced thus something isn't right. Anyone have any idea's??

-Sly
I wouldn't use that whole in the wall shop again!

Did you ever get it working right?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Do the cooling fans run all the time as well? If they do the shop probably messed with the high pressure switch and did not put it back right when they got the system charged.
A jumper wire in the low pressure sensor connector could make the compressor run all the time as well.