Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help pulling motor!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help pulling motor!!!!!

Ok my plan was to remove the torque converter bolts from the flywheel, well after trying this there is no way those babys are coming loose so i was going to just try to pull the torque converter away from the trans, once again easier said then done. Does anyone have any ideas here as to the best way to go from here, the motor is already in short block form with no heads and the motor to trans bolts are already out. Is there a better way to get the converter bolts out? BTW its a 98 WS6 LS1 a4 car.
thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

I'd say the convertor bolts have to come out. A wrench fits on there real well, just get a longer pipe or something for more leverage and they should break free. I have met a few that were sort of tough, but nothing impossible.

Good luck!

Ed
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

The bolts on my 98z where Allen Key type i dont think it would have been possible for me to have gotten my off while in the car. I had to take my motor out. Also the Allen bolts started to strip. Does GM sell bolts instead of Allen key type bolts. You try using a wrench to hold the crank shaft so the engine doesnt crank? I took my converter off the same way i has it with no heads,no nothing on the motor. Also i just pulled the tranny off and left the torque converter on the flywheel helps a bunch not having the tranny connected to the motor.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

ok what is the easiest way to get the trans out without killing myself, im in the garage on jack stands, will it just slide out of there? And yes my converter is held on by allen screws.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled a motor from the top with the tranny attached. It's not the safest thing, but it can be done.

Search this Thread