Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got killed by an Evo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got killed by an Evo

Okay, let me explain how this went down. I have a nice lookin, barely modded 98 Z w/117 on the od. At 5 am on Sun. I was on the 57 heading for work, cruising around 70 or so when i rolled up on this Evo. I told my partner that that was a fast car or is supposed to be. This guy took some pride in his "ricer" cause it looked real good....body kit....paint was nice...a pillar lined w/ gauges..etc. So i started to tease pull up...back off you know the game we play. At first he didn't budge so i was just back to cruising when all of a sudden he jumped on it so i said its on....so i catch him and pass him and instead of us lining up he blows by me again. I catch up (now it gets tense) he pulls over to the lane next to me and we sorta line up....remember were still rolling around 70-75.....no horn beeps or anything, he just punches it though, so im on it but i just cant reel him in. Before i knew it i was rolling up on another car in my lane and one to my right..i brake then realize im gonna have to gas it just so i can duck into my right lane just ahead of some poor guy who was probably wondering what the hell was going on. So he takes a quick next exit...and i go on to my job thinking **** that guys car was fast!!!!
Now I know alot of you guys with your mods probably say you'd have killed this import and all that ****....and after i do the mods i need and want i could say the same. I love my car and I know it's fast, I don't know what he was doin or how he was doing it but I just couldn't catch him.....and everyone knows a chase is a race, but i will respect his car and hopefully things will be different next time around....hope you enjoyed the story..cuzz win or lose....I enjoyed the race!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He obviously didn't want to race from a stop, because you would have slaughtered him. They race from a roll because its the only place they make power. You could probably take him on a track.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by toastychicken
He obviously didn't want to race from a stop, because you would have slaughtered him. They race from a roll because its the only place they make power. You could probably take him on a track.
WTF are you talking about. I'm sure the EVO would have loved to race from a stop. They're AWD man.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

hey mods.....can i get this moved to street races and kill stories.....my bad....
Old 08-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Launching!

It don't sound like a race to me.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummm, I thought evos were better from a roll. AWD craps out on the highway.

good race. Good way to perk up at 5 am.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renesis
WTF are you talking about. I'm sure the EVO would have loved to race from a stop. They're AWD man.
I was talking power bands, not traction.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Perfectly understandable. Evos are quick anyway you look at it, plus they do have a turbo so bumping up the boost and a few low cost mods can really pick it up. But hey, they do cost 30K plus and they look funny but I have to admit that I like em too.

It's nice to see someone tell the truth and admit that they got beat. Especially by a ricer!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toastychicken
I was talking power bands, not traction.
Powerbands? When I race at the track, my tach is never below 5k right from the hole. I'm in the powerband all the way. Him racing from a stop on the street with his street tires could have been a bigger disadvantage.

Nice death. I give you props for saying you got beat. Get more mods and ream his *** next time. That's what this game is all about.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Launching!

next time this happens just give him a rev and its a win! I do it all the time around here, works like a charm HAHAHA
Old 08-09-2005, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

The Evo would be at a disadvantage off a 70 mph roll because of its all wheel drive.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
Okay, let me explain how this went down. I have a nice lookin, barely modded 98 Z w/117 on the od. At 5 am on Sun. I was on the 57 heading for work, cruising around 70 or so when i rolled up on this Evo. I told my partner that that was a fast car or is supposed to be. This guy took some pride in his "ricer" cause it looked real good....body kit....paint was nice...a pillar lined w/ gauges..etc. So i started to tease pull up...back off you know the game we play. At first he didn't budge so i was just back to cruising when all of a sudden he jumped on it so i said its on....so i catch him and pass him and instead of us lining up he blows by me again. I catch up (now it gets tense) he pulls over to the lane next to me and we sorta line up....remember were still rolling around 70-75.....no horn beeps or anything, he just punches it though, so im on it but i just cant reel him in. Before i knew it i was rolling up on another car in my lane and one to my right..i brake then realize im gonna have to gas it just so i can duck into my right lane just ahead of some poor guy who was probably wondering what the hell was going on. So he takes a quick next exit...and i go on to my job thinking **** that guys car was fast!!!!
Now I know alot of you guys with your mods probably say you'd have killed this import and all that ****....and after i do the mods i need and want i could say the same. I love my car and I know it's fast, I don't know what he was doin or how he was doing it but I just couldn't catch him.....and everyone knows a chase is a race, but i will respect his car and hopefully things will be different next time around....hope you enjoyed the story..cuzz win or lose....I enjoyed the race!!!!!!!!!!
A 70-75 mph roll is not the A4's strong suit. At that mph the tranny usually does not kick down to 2nd. It goes down to 3rd which puts the RPMs at about 3000 and you are left winding out that gear (huge disadvanteage). If you want to go from a roll in an A4 go from 50-65 that will guarantee the 4-2 downshift and put you at ~4000-4500, much closer to peak torque.

With the mods below and the above scenario (no downshift) I could not overtake a mildly modded EVO8 until 140+ from an 75-80 roll. They are really quick cars even on the hwy.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Teching In

When modded Evo's can haul ***.

Shane
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

They race from a roll because its the only place they make power.
i don't think this is true. Evolutions are quicker off the line than from a roll. N/A LS1's will pull up top on an Evo, not from a dig.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Funny cause i went to the track last wed. ( goin 2morrow too ), Only one or two evo's broke the 12's. And the ones that did were sponcered out of thier ***' . Every ricer was around them, talkin and complimenting them. Oh yea not mid or low 12's, how's 12.8ish. and up. $30k plus $10-$15k mods for high 12's? No thanks, ill stick with my SS..
Old 08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Silvrshark
It don't sound like a race to me.

yeah.....sounds like a slaughter.....

sounds like you need to do some work on top end HP........
Old 08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Personally, I don't consider Evos or STi's ricers (that's a derogatory term), just well-built rally cars that do ok in drag racing (pretty good actually). Evos are no joke and (IMO) demand respect. Hell, I love my T/A but everytime I see an Evo I shoot the owner a compliment if he's around. Good death and don't take it too hard. Up top (stock for stock) our displacement pulls their turbo so what he was modded... you'd win if you were too...
Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokeDaGT
Funny cause i went to the track last wed. ( goin 2morrow too ), Only one or two evo's broke the 12's. And the ones that did were sponcered out of thier ***' . Every ricer was around them, talkin and complimenting them. Oh yea not mid or low 12's, how's 12.8ish. and up. $30k plus $10-$15k mods for high 12's? No thanks, ill stick with my SS..
Where's that :BS: flag when you need it? An EVO with $10-$15K in mods is not gonna run high 12's! A friends 04' EVO ran a 13.0 @ 99mph...bone stock. That's quicker than the time your SS ran in your sig. Another friend 2-3 years ago drove an EVO to a 12.5 @ 110mph with a filter, full 3" exhaust and a piggyback computer (AFC for $300.) That's $1k in mods.

Maybe they had the other $10K in ICE or $5k wheels. :dunno:
Un-updated EVO times index. The "BIG 16G" times are run on the stock turbo. They have potential.

Last edited by diambo4life; 08-09-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Launching!

See that's y i had this thread moved over here...it would get people hyped upped...btw it really wasn't a slaughter...he never got more than a car on me but like i said a chase is a race....and if anyone wants to loan me some money for mods....ill put your name on my car..ha ha ha ha