Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie questions....

I'm probably gonna break a bunch of the minor rules here, but please bear with me. I have the worlds slowest internet connection, so searching is a major PITA. Been lurking for a couple weeks, just purchased a 99 Z28. This is meant to be my "practical" car, a daily driver. The car was cheap, in excellent shape, but has 130k miles. It is a 6 spd car.

So, now the questions: Supercharge, Turbo, or Nitrous? I know the pro's and con's of all, (ok, maybe not ALL the pro's and con's!) but am looking for opinions. What brand, and where to buy? I am leaning away from Nitrous, as I want something that I don't have to turn on and off, and I don't have room for a bottle. I'd really like a nice simple setup that is maintenance free and I can run on mid grade fuel. I know, I should run super no matter what, but looking for the practical side.

The other questions, that are probably in the wrong forum, but I will cross-post as well:

What brake rotors and pads? Remember, daily driver....

What exhaust? I don't want too loud, just something a bit beefier sounding.

I'd like to lower it about 1.5", what do you recommend?

Anything else I need to do to make it a reasonable daily driver?

Thanks to all in advance!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raceplayhavefun
I'm probably gonna break a bunch of the minor rules here, but please bear with me. I have the worlds slowest internet connection, so searching is a major PITA. Been lurking for a couple weeks, just purchased a 99 Z28. This is meant to be my "practical" car, a daily driver. The car was cheap, in excellent shape, but has 130k miles. It is a 6 spd car.

So, now the questions: Supercharge, Turbo, or Nitrous? I know the pro's and con's of all, (ok, maybe not ALL the pro's and con's!) but am looking for opinions. What brand, and where to buy? I am leaning away from Nitrous, as I want something that I don't have to turn on and off, and I don't have room for a bottle. I'd really like a nice simple setup that is maintenance free and I can run on mid grade fuel. I know, I should run super no matter what, but looking for the practical side.

The other questions, that are probably in the wrong forum, but I will cross-post as well:

Many of your questions come down to personal preference after much research.

Even though you have a slow connection you will want to check out the 'stickies' in each respective area (External engine for exhaust).

Also, each one of your questions can become very detailed as what is needed and recommended and so on.

Read the stickies and if the dial up is too slow than go to the Library since they usually have a high speed connection.

Just so you know...

I am not trying to be a jerk but these answers are long and have many questions for you as well. So, I recommend doing a lot of research and I am sure you will find at least 99% of your answers here.

Good luck

Jack
Old 08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I know, I should run super no matter what, but looking for the practical side.
The minimum recommended fuel for the LS1 is 91 Octane. It says so right in the owner's manual. If you start adding forced induction or nitrous, expect that minimum to increase. You can't change the laws of physics because you dont like the price.

This is the most common question in the Breaking & Handling section.
The most common response is Brembo OEM blanks and Hawk HPS pads. You can get them both from TireRack. That is what I use, btw. Last I checked that was about $400 shipped for those rotors and pads. I think I paid under $370 late last year but it seems that the price has gone up. A cheaper rotor is the AutoZone DuraLast (Its the more expensive of the two that AutoZone carries). If you want cheaper pads, check out the Handling & Braking section to see what others are running.

This is highly subjective.
Check out http://www.ls1sounds.com/ and listen to them yourself.

I dont mean to sound like a smart-*** (although thats probably the way I came accross).

Have Fun and read all you can in the stickies and in other threads. I know you said that you have a slow internet connection, but there is plenty of info on here and you'll find it through searching.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-10-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd really like a nice simple setup that is maintenance free and I can run on mid grade fuel.
sell LS1 buy honda

A STOCK ls1 need 91+ i dont get it...do people think the owners manual is a paper weight?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
sell LS1 buy honda

A STOCK ls1 need 91+ i dont get it...do people think the owners manual is a paper weight?
yep. Spend the extra 15-20 cents a gallon for 91+. I even go out of my way to only use Shell, Amoco or Mobil stations here in Milw. There's been a big controversy of premature injector failure on injected cars, with an overwhelming majority of the affected cars being Citgo customers.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Import Patrol

For brakes I use brembo cross drilled with hawk performance pads, their great been running them for 2yrs now and have over 50 1/4 pass on them as well as about 20k miles

For exhaust I like the gmmg or the magna flow

Screw the 1.5 drop, unless you don't plan on modding your car. If you plan on mod. your car, you are going to want some bigger tires in the rear to plant the power, and the drop is going to make that a little rough fitting them in the wheel wells
Old 08-15-2005, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think Supercharging or Turbocharging is maintanence free, you better spend more time reading the forced induction threads. Actually, Nitrous may be the easiest to use since it is only "on" when you want it. Room? What's in your spare tire area?

A Head and Cam package may be what you are looking for instead of FI. With 130k miles, you'll be looking to replace at least springs soon anyway, so you might as well as get in there and do it right = peace of mind. H/C will be cheaper than FI anyway.

And... with 130k miles I definitely would pinch pennies for midgrade gas.