Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch panel install tip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Switch panel install tip.

I started to look at putting a NX 3 switch panel in the ashtray of my Z06. As someone told me it fits in there nicely with no cutting. But unless you cut some of the plastic out from behind the ashtray there is no room for the wires to come out of the back of the terminals. On the bottom corners there is a little room for regular terminals but most will not fit.

I found some terminals in my electrical stuff that the wire goes out the side of the terminal instead of straight out like the common terminals they supply. They are no wider than the terminal its self and only a little taller than the piece they push on to on the back of the switch. This will give extra clearance and you can run the wires to one side to give them more flexability to stuff all those wires in there.

These will work in other applications where room is tight. The next problem is finding where to get them as I only have 2. But at least I know they are out there somewhere.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

I've only found those at specialty hardware stores and at Advanced Auto or AutoZone.

I actually just soldered my wires on...

-somebody
Old 08-08-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to cut out the plastic behind ashtray itself. Also, there is an aluminum brk in the way, cut it off or bend it. I tried the *90 terminals and couldn't get them to work. here's a pic of wiring for 5-switches and 3-lights, and it all fits with straight terminals.
Robert

Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Restricted User

We used the connectors supplied. When we wired it (we've done several now) we make short length wire jumps from one to the next, combining the wires together in the connector. We then pushed them over and fold them down from what was barely sticking up and it fit in without any pushing. It sounds like you are using too much wire. Make shorts jumps with the wires instead.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Side wire terminals wouldn't work in my case. As you can see there is mucho more going on than the NX panel. Side wire terminals would not go side by side and you can see I needed that option. Fits in fine, and when reselling car it will go back to normal. This is also a home made sw panel (cost about $2) out of aluminum and held with 2-screws rather than the sticky tape. I like this way as it's been out more than a half dozen times for various reasons (usually new wire schemes). You can see purge adapted to lighter hole and this too can go back to stock. Cutting out the entire back of where the ash ray fits into also allows access to other wiring, like, 1 gear lock-out, HP Tuner cable/connecter, Rpm activation lights etc.
Robert
Old 08-09-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback guys. It sure helps make things easier when you can get info. from someone who has done it before. I have not tried to wire it yet but looking at it it seemed like it would work with the sideways terminals.

I was hoping not to have to cut the back out if I don't have to.

NOSjohn: Do you mean you took a regular terminal and bent it 90 degrees?

Robert: It looks like there is enough wire in there for the spsce shuttle.
Did the plastic get flimsey after you cut the back out and bent the bracket out of the way?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Restricted User

Here is a standard wiring diagram for the NX switch (1st pic):

The 2nd pic is how we wired it up. We just looped the wires from
one terminal to the next and used the same terminal for 2 or 3 wires, combining them, versus running seperate wires. This gave us adequate room to NOT have to cut out the back of the ashtray. Our wires were VERY short, some only 2 inches long to "jumper" from one terminal to the next.
Attached Thumbnails Switch panel install tip.-nxswitchschem.jpg   Switch panel install tip.-nxswitchschem_2.jpg  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by terry s
Thanks for the feedback guys. It sure helps make things easier when you can get info. from someone who has done it before. I have not tried to wire it yet but looking at it it seemed like it would work with the sideways terminals.

I was hoping not to have to cut the back out if I don't have to.

NOSjohn: Do you mean you took a regular terminal and bent it 90 degrees?

Robert: It looks like there is enough wire in there for the spsce shuttle.
Did the plastic get flimsey after you cut the back out and bent the bracket out of the way?
No not flimsy at all, and no rattles. I did this on my '97 also and removed sw panel upon sell and returned ashtray to it's home, you couldnt tell it was ever modded. It's also tough pull wires in ther and having it open sure helped out the frustration factor. Am I saying NOSjohn's way won't work, no not at all, just what I did and why.
Robert
Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 5177 kit with NOS purge and Dynotune bottle heater. I have 3 switches... activation, heater and purge button. I drilled three holes in the bottom (floor) of the ash tray area and there is plenty of clearance for the wires to come out the bottom of the supplied switches. No cutting, no bending... just mount the switches, plug in the connectors and you're ready to go. Doesn't look as nice as Robert's, but the ash tray door is closed except when in use. I don't have any pics, but will take some if interested.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BluMachine
I have a 5177 kit with NOS purge and Dynotune bottle heater. I have 3 switches... activation, heater and purge button. I drilled three holes in the bottom (floor) of the ash tray area and there is plenty of clearance for the wires to come out the bottom of the supplied switches. No cutting, no bending... just mount the switches, plug in the connectors and you're ready to go. Doesn't look as nice as Robert's, but the ash tray door is closed except when in use. I don't have any pics, but will take some if interested.
How in the heck did you get your wires up through your holes without removing console? I tried everything, but I guess when using so many plug on connectors, it leaves no room.
Robert
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
How in the heck did you get your wires up through your holes without removing console? I tried everything, but I guess when using so many plug on connectors, it leaves no room.
Robert
The console was out. Mount the switches first and then plug the connectors in... I have some slack in the wires... used a loom and the slack slides into the dash behind the console when it is installed.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Here is a standard wiring diagram for the NX switch (1st pic):

The 2nd pic is how we wired it up. We just looped the wires from
one terminal to the next and used the same terminal for 2 or 3 wires, combining them, versus running seperate wires. This gave us adequate room to NOT have to cut out the back of the ashtray. Our wires were VERY short, some only 2 inches long to "jumper" from one terminal to the next.
This will prove to be helpful as i am going to finish installing a TNT kit on a friends vette this weekend and he wants to use an NX switch panel.

can the NX panel handle all of this? or will i need to pick up another switch.
*arming switch
*bottle opener
*bottle heater
*purge

Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure how NX does it, but you can set-up bottle heater and opener to be activated with the same switch. that's how I do it when running a bottle opener.
Robert
Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yenko,
Actually, NX uses a combo Arm (up)/Heater (down)switch, a bottle open/closed (spring reset) switch and a purge (spring reset) switch. Everything you have listed will work from the NX setup.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Airwolf
Yenko,
Actually, NX uses a combo Arm (up)/Heater (down)switch, a bottle open/closed (spring reset) switch and a purge (spring reset) switch. Everything you have listed will work from the NX setup.
Cool, thanks for the insight. The switch panel is in the mail> i guess when it gets here i would have figured it out from the instructions, i was just curious.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone noticed that on a corvette if you press on the door there is a little plastic tip on the under side of the door that will actinvate the bottom half of the center switch on the NX switch panel? If yours does this also you may want to cut the little tip off.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by terry s
Has anyone noticed that on a corvette if you press on the door there is a little plastic tip on the under side of the door that will actinvate the bottom half of the center switch on the NX switch panel? If yours does this also you may want to cut the little tip off.
Yes, the way mine is set-up up, if you shut the door all the way it'll shut off all switches.
Robert
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yes, the way mine is set-up up, if you shut the door all the way it'll shut off all switches.
Robert
I will check mine again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only switch that the door will touch is the center one. I will cut off the little tip of plastic and see if the door will hit any of the switches.

My thought was that it would be possible to activate the switch with out knowing it.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is custom on 1/8 thick aluminum plate (may stick out further). I know if I shut door all the way it automatically turns everything off.
Robert
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I bought this panel....

http://koskowskimotorsports.com/kms/...roducts_id=143

It's the same panel and seemed to be less money.