Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car is starting to show wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my car is starting to show wear

im 21, polished it almost every weekend for the past 4 years i had it since jan 2001. Paint is great engine bay great. but im debating on selling it now that i live in the north, i can see the age starting to take its toll.

a question on a few things....the BMR adjustable PHR. about 3 years old...does it need to be tightened by the dealer should i tell them? the LCA, greased or tightened??

here a big one...the ceramic coated FLPs are about 3 years old. the coating is completely rusted mostly on the OR pipes and towards the front and collector, just brown rusted metal. do i need to worry about it being eaten away through the metal? or is that as far as it will go?

anything else i shoudl be paranoid about or give attention to?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sell it while it still looks half decent and move on to something else.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

keep it and keep on modding it if you can afford it
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1, I'm holding off on mods for now since a 2002+ Z06 can now be had for a little over 30K !!!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
cmon really? i mean relate. it's my first car. every older grownup even my dad always says man ill tell ya i regret selling my frist car, the old muscle cars. and it is my first so it's hard to let go of it. Why sell it while it looks half decent as opposed to keeping it??

as far as modding it goes, I had my in high school from work of about 2500 worth of mods, i dunno, whatever it costs for what i have in my sig, but i stopped when i got to and since ive been in college.

also, as for the questions about upkeep in my original post, you guys have any info.?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

I'd keep it if I were in your shoes. Mine is one year older than yours and still looks in really good condition and it doesn't live in a garage either. I'm keeping mine until something gives, and when something does give, I'll replace it with something better!

About your LCA's and PHR, just check to make sure the bolts are still torqued and make sure the PHR jam nuts haven't moved any. And yes, you should grease the LCA's, the poly ends anyways.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Never sell your first car.....EVER. You will regrette it. Especially if its a sports car.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Launching!

my first was a '78 f100 with a 300 6cyl and a 3 on the tree trans....... i put alot of blood, sweat and tears in her and paid for the partial restoration of it.. ended up selling it for $600.. as the 'ol saying goes "i wish i would've known now what i knew then"...... also i thought quite a few times about selling my car in sig.... to say the least i still got her and will most likely keep her.. my opinion; dont sell it.. but if you do decide to sell it, make sure it's for a reason you can live with cause life is all about no regrets!! good luck on your decision
Old 08-10-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

i sold my first car and dont regret it at all...however i sold the SUV and bought the T/A so why would i complain. i think you should realize that your car can make all the power and torque of a Z06 and you dont have to spend 30k. dont get me wrong i'd love to have a Z06 but if i had my current car stock and had the oppertunity to buy a Z06 for 30k i would just keep mine and build it into a monster. save up your money and get a big *** cubed engine...you wont be dissapointed.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my furiously fast third gen ('85) with 170rwhp. That was my first car.. I do not regret it one bit... lol. I am soon to be selling the '98 for an '02 Z28 with 10k miles. The '02 will be mine for quite some time.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
Never sell your first car.....EVER. You will regrette it. Especially if its a sports car.
Haha.. My 1st car that I bought (not the junkers I had in high school) was a 2003 Mustang GT... I sold that thing off like a and never looked back.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep the thing, unfortunately i couldn't sell my first 94 z with 160K on it because it got smashed by some women in a minivan going shopping.

my car now is a 94, its 11 or 12 years old and it still looks great. my point is that showing wear is normal and ok considering its not the looks only that make you love your car. now i know it probably shows more than mine since its a black ls1 ss (sweet), i used to have a black lt1, but i agree with some other guys when i say you probably will regret selling, unless you plan on getting a better one and not an suv or somthing not as fun to drive.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let it GET old and nasty. Keep it sharp. But you can only make it as clean and sharp as you have money to do and the desire/ability to keep at it.

Just don't go selling it 'cause the air in the tires is old and stale or something...
Old 08-10-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always wanted a T/A and I'm planning on keeping my first T/A for a very long time.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

You need to stop daily driving the car. Buy a beater to use for the daily junk. On the weekends you'll still have your SS fresh and ready to roll 15 years from now. Keep it garaged and covered.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I know what you're saying. I have Y2K Z28 I bought new, but it has had a "deer incident", and various door and bumper kablams thanks to kindhearted motorists (and coons, cats, dogs,etc). I sometimes don't even want to wash it, I get so disheartend. BUT! I remember of all the Chevelles, Buick GS's and all that I really, really always wanted a Z. I'm keepin' this sucker no matter how much my wife gripes about it. I may have to buy my wife a new truck, but I might get a paint job out of it.
130K and still rolling.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive busted my *** to keep my SS is good shape.between stuff breaking and scratches and aholes screwing up my car ive dumped a ton of money into it.its not perferct but it still shines and runs great.

i bought a new GTO so now itll be getting stored after this summer.

have you considered getting another car?it doesnt have to be anything special just something to get you around and use your nice car on the weekends.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea EVERYONE as this proves is like "dont sell it youll regret it". for thsoe that dont, i could see why. If you buy a better car who cares if your old car was "worse" its like you can go "up" but not backward. I mean, i never took this car for granted polised it all the time, driving around like hot shot the fast car...i say this becuase i dont want to sound pompous when i say i could sell the car and have a lot of money in the bank for when i get out of college, but then id be driving the average car most kids my age drive. you cant get in most street cars and say you can go a quarter of a mile in 12 seconds or 0 to 60 in under 5.5. REMEMBER IM IN COLLEGE. MONEY IS SHORT, ALL THIS BUY A DAILY DRIVER AND STORE IT TALK IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. i mean as someone said "unless you have reason". the only one i can think of is well im goin to school getting a good education which hopefully pays off, and if i sell it, eh i can always buy another one or some dream car in 10 years

also still questions on a few things....the BMR adjustable PHR. about 3 years old...does it need to be tightened by the dealer should i tell them? the LCA, greased or tightened??

here a big one...the ceramic coated FLPs are about 3 years old. the coating is completely rusted mostly on the OR pipes and towards the front and collector, just brown rusted metal. do i need to worry about it being eaten away through the metal? or is that as far as it will go?

by the way all this school talk ....we are penn state!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Naked AV

I've regretted every day since I sold my first real car, a '71 Monte Carlo. I will get another one, though, already making plans....
Old 08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R U A LS1
also still questions on a few things....the BMR adjustable PHR. about 3 years old...does it need to be tightened by the dealer should i tell them? the LCA, greased or tightened??
adjust your own PHB if it needs it(chances are it does not) check the tight on all the bolts. grease any poly bushings you have(a grease gun is 19.95 again do it yourself)

you have a few choices here, you can remove them, sand them real good to get any rust off, and send them off to be recoated.
or replace them.
yes eventually they can rust thru, but it will probably take another 2 years