Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to quiet it down????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to quiet it down????

Ok here goes, been catching too much **** from neighbors and the police because exhaust is too loud.

My set up: Hooker super comp. long tubes, F14 cam. 3 inch pipe all the way.
I bought the car with the exhaust set up on it. I'm not sure the brand of ORY but I'm thinkink it is Hooker.
The tips are borla dual dual.
The muffler, not sure, it was replaced. I know it is not borla.
Most of the exhaust comes out the passenger side, meaning most of the lope sound. The driver side sound is much deeper without the rasp at high rpm.

Anyway my question, what options would I have on quieting this setup down without losing power?

Different Muffler? Through on another muffler?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am totally fed up with these bs neighbors and cops.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

ttt...anyone?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it that the exhaust is different on the passenger/driver's side? Is it a borla adjustable, with the plate system that routes some of the exhuat through the muffler and to the driver's side while letting unmuffled through on the passenger side?

You can put something like a dynomax bullet or, better yet, Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Well it is some generic brand of muffler, not sure what. I know it is not a borla.
The passenger side is unmuffled.

I really would like to just change the muffler without buying a whole new cat back.
I'll look in to the xr-1.

Anyone know if I can buy just the muffler instead of buying a whole new cat back?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

The Borla XR1 is the quietest muffler I know of. Consider that, and adding CATS. Gets rid of your rasp and tones things down a little.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have a borla 3 in adj exhaust. make a plate to cover the drivers side up and it will be much quieter.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zracer28
Ok here goes, been catching too much **** from neighbors and the police because exhaust is too loud.

My set up: Hooker super comp. long tubes, F14 cam. 3 inch pipe all the way.
I bought the car with the exhaust set up on it. I'm not sure the brand of ORY but I'm thinkink it is Hooker.
The tips are borla dual dual.
The muffler, not sure, it was replaced. I know it is not borla.
Most of the exhaust comes out the passenger side, meaning most of the lope sound. The driver side sound is much deeper without the rasp at high rpm.

Anyway my question, what options would I have on quieting this setup down without losing power?

Different Muffler? Through on another muffler?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am totally fed up with these bs neighbors and cops.
I don't mean to hijack your thread bud, but this is an interesting statement. If I weld a plate between the muffler and the pass. tip (making it a dummy tip) would I be able to elminate rasp?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
you have a borla 3 in adj exhaust. make a plate to cover the drivers side up and it will be much quieter.
This is what I will do for now just to tone it down before I order the xr-1
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
The Borla XR1 is the quietest muffler I know of. Consider that, and adding CATS. Gets rid of your rasp and tones things down a little.
I've herd XR-1s on a mustang with orh/duals, it was not quite by any means!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even going through the muffler (making pass side a dummy tip, as if using the full blockoff plate) I believe you will still have some rasp. Not as much for sure, but there will probably still be some there.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I think duals all the way out the back w/XR1's wouldn't be too loud, but they are not especially quiet. I have the "borla mouth" exhaust (single) and it is definitely not what I would call loud, no resonance that rattles your fillings at any rate. We'll see what it sounds like w/headers soon.
FWIW, Dynomax ultra flo mufflers are pretty quiet, and are rated at a high flow, + they are SSteel.(had one). They are kinda heavy, if that means anything.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Install a 3" Car Chemistry insert (Summit Racing) into the I-pipe and the noise will drop about 20%. Get a 3 disc insert, $50 and you can do it yourself.