Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do PaceSetter Headers compare to Jet Hots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do PaceSetter Headers compare to Jet Hots?

First, let me say that I'm a self-admitted newbie to the LS1 world. I try to use the Search button and the stickies at the top of every forum I come across, but I've yet to find a direct comparison between the two. That being said, I'm starting this thread. Please share your honest opinions.

I'm going to be running headers into a TSP True Dual setup. I'm trying to choose between Pacesetter or Jet Hots.

I have a friend running Kooks and of course he suggests them. Unfortunately, I'm not able to afford a new set, and I havent found a deal on a used set.

I have a friend running Jet Hots, and he'd sing their praises from the roof tops. I've never seen his headers in person before, but from what I've read, they're the improved version of Hooker headers. The o2 sensor ports are relocated to the inside of the collector so o2 extensions are not needed. The Jet Hots are coated inside and out.

I have another friend running the coated Pacesetters. They're about ~$100 cheaper than the Jet Hots and when I saw a set in person, there were two things I didn't like: The 4 tubes are not equal lengths (the Jet Hots are), and the weld inside the primaries (near the flange) is very visible and seems to lessen the inside diameter by ~1/8th of an inch, which may or may not be enough to make a difference. The Pacesetters are coated on the outside, but I'm not sure about the inside. The the best of my research, o2 extensions will be needed.

Both of the headers have 1 3/4" primaries and 3” collector sizes.

I'm tempted to spend the extra ~$100 on the Jet Hots, but I'd like to hear a few opinions first.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i were you i would make sure the jet hots are actually better before spending the extra cash, i have pacesetter mid lengths on my 94 Z and they helped out alot, however when i got them and installed them the first time i didn't examine them as good as i should have and one of the flanges was not straight and once i got them on they leaked. but pacesetter gave me a whole nother set for free. but i guess it could be that way with any brand.

so all im saying is that i am very pleased with the performance gain that headers did for my car, my factory manifolds are alot more restrictive than ls1's but im sure you can get the same effect. however, headers with equal length tubes are going to be better but probably harder to install.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car stock in January of this year and just put my headers on about 2 weeks ago. I began researching the options and various things I could do the day I bought the car. Now of course I'm no expert, but this is what I gathered.

First, just about every header is the same. Same in that it will net you the same power. All shorties will net the same, all mids will net the same, all LT's will net the same. Sure there are anomolies and exceptions, but as a general rule, this is true.

With that being said, I went with coated Pacesetters. Not just because they are the cheapest, not just because they were very readily available, but because of the statement I made eariler. I don't live in an area where rust is a problem or weather is an issue. I don't care about stainless or perfectly equal lengths, etc. With the power level I am staying with, this is simply not an issue. I went with pacesetters, put them in myself, and couldn't be happier. They fit perfect, required no extra work, and slid right up.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too was considering buying the Pacesetter LT's.
How ever I found a set of Jet Hots that were 1 year old
along with their ORY for a great deal. I did the install and
it was as easy as the JBA shorties I had on previously.
Yes the 02 bungs are welded to the inside but I still
needed to use the longer Z06 sensors to reach.
If you can save 100. on headers that can go towards
a cam kit. Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
TOZ
On The Tree

I was about to get a set of PS and went with Jet hots. Better quality.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

I got pacesetters, its all personal preference, mine went in fine, fit fine, and perform fine.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Pacesetters are fine. Plenty of cars running well into the 10s with them, some cam only cars. Buy which you feel more comfortable with. Bottom line. Long tubes are long tubes, expect similar power.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see no need to spend more money for coated headers when Pacesetters do the job, fit nice, and look good.

If you are wanting to spend more money, step up to Stainless from QTP/Kooks.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I saved some money by going with the Pacesetters. The Jet Hot's are nothing special, just go with the Pacesetters.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jet hots have far better quality welds and the pipes are trimmed cleanly. The jet hot coating is also supposed to be stronger (unless you get one that peels, but thats another topic). I went with the jethots, but i dont think im seeing any real world advantages over the pace setters.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:29 AM
FormerVendor

Bottom line, long tubes are long tubes.....Pacesetters are easily installed and are a great price....my advice is to spend the money on the less expensive headers (since there will be no power sacrifice) and spend that money on something else for the car!!!

Give us a call at the shop and we can set you up with a header/rumbler-X setup!!

-Zach
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

you get what you paid for .....pacesetters are junk and jethots have good quality for the price........and a reminder u can get pacesetters from your local pepboys along with ur altezzas
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

WTF dude, Pacesetters have a great build quality. Mine had excellent welds and the fitment was perfect. Even my Pacesetter Y-pipe was of good quality.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mangus2K1ws6 your nuts! Pacesetter are of very good quality especially for their price. And just because you dont have to SPECIAL order a part dont mean it isnt as good as something more expensive. Dont you know 95% of the time you pay more for a name anyway. Not tryin to be a dick but know what your talkin bout before you put your own foot in your mouth.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

Pacesetters it is. Thanks for the good information guys.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

just got my coated pacesetters on. dont know why someone would spend 2 or 3 times more for long tubes.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
just got my coated pacesetters on. dont know why someone would spend 2 or 3 times more for long tubes.
im right their with ya, I hope to be installing some soon my my friends car. I told him to get them and spend all the other $ that he would spend on some high $ long tubes for other stuff.. lol 39days and counting on the shipping he sent it parshal we are in hawaii
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Hows the ground clearance with the pacesetters vs the jethots? Any issues with lowered cars?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I havent scraped mine yet...
I'm lowered fairly well too.

they are so close to the tires, its almost impossible to hit them on a speed bump..
Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive installed both. Neither header really has an advantage over the other. I think they both have 3/8 flanges. The PS headers have a little better clearance. Between these 2 headers the choice should be easy, PS. I dont understand how someone can say quality is better on Jet Hots. Quality is not worse, but not better.