Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchable exhaust? (Crazy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchable exhaust? (Crazy)

So my girlfriend has an 02 Trans Am, and when I get a chance, it's getting a bunch of stuff done to it (per her request). One thing I've been kicking around is a switchable exhaust system. Basically, it's a dual setup with both mildly mean (like borla) and extremely mean (sweet thunder) mufflers sitting side by side with the ability for the driver to select between the two. I can imagine a y-adapter with a director valve (I can fab or find this) that switches between the mufflers, but I am wondering if there is even enough room under the car to shoehorn an muffler pair in there like that and still make everything work.

I realize this setup is waaaay overcomplicating things, but the idea of having a switch labeled "Naughty/Nice" on the dash is too cool to not think about. Comments? Ideas?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not just do the duals with a qtech cutout
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're called cutouts.

You choose a somewhat quiet muffler and run a cutout (or dual cutouts) for opening up the exhaust.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Smile True Dual Exhaust

Why don't you instsall a true dual exhaust system on the car? You know true duals that run from the engine back (NOT THROUGH A silly "Y" PIPE). You can run the pipes over the rear axle and all the way out the rear from beneath thr bumper is the stock locations. With true duals you will pick up horsepower, torque and a sound that is a real muscle car sound with NO raspyness.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Wink True Dual Exhaust

Why don't you instsall a true dual exhaust system on the car? You know true duals that run from the engine back (NOT THROUGH A silly "Y" PIPE). You can run the pipes over the rear axle and all the way out the rear from beneath the bumper is the stock locations. With true duals you will pick up horsepower, torque and a sound that is a real muscle car sound with NO raspyness.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta12sec
why not just do the duals with a qtech cutout
B----raddddd! is right!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep true duals all the way to the back. if its still too loud, put on different mufflers or add hi flo cats. then u can have 2 cutouts for when u want loud. all this for 1300ish dollar
Old 08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have dual electric cutouts and LOVE'EM!!
But if you got the cash, anything can be fabbed up.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Switchable exhaust? (Crazy)