Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooty Tailpipes/stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sooty Tailpipes/stumbles

2001 trans am. Just did top end cleaner and checked plugs. Plugs looked ok, not fouled. The old plugs are TR55's and new ones I'm sticking with the same thing. I had my o2's replaced about 2 years ago and never helped my stumble issue nor did the plug change. Had car scanned with a basic scanner at my mechanic's shop. a few misses on cylinder 1, everything else perfect. Pulled vavlecovers with a buddy andpushrods check out (M6). He and I noticed my tailpipes are extra sooty and from my plugs it looked like i'm running a bit rich. Mods are:

-Lid
-ported tb
-hooker catback

new fuel filter, top end cleaner (lots of **** came out but still runs bad)
Think I should change o2's again? Tuning issue? I'm so tired of searching and not finding a solution by mechanics I'm getting to the point I might sell the car and move on.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, same thing happened to me. Turned out the plug wire on number was completely off the plug. Since you checked your plugs, you probably aren't having this problem. But, you could have a bad plug wire or two. Without that number 8 cylinder firing, a ton of unburnt fuel was traveling through my exhaust. Made my bumper black.