Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new forged block from Racetech is ticking bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new forged block from Racetech is ticking bad

I got the car running and everything went in great. but now I have a problem i think. the car is using TSP 7.4 pushrods, comp cam OEM replacement lifters, Harland Sharp rockers. and Patriot heads. I have the seweing machine sound but it has a very noticeble at about 2500 rpm and above. so I will take the HS off and put the stockers on and see if the sound goes away, I hope is not a bearing that was put in wrong. the oil pressure is fine and I dont see any sing of oil starvation. any ideas would be apreciated...I did search and found a thread from TT vert with the same problem but he took the whole engine apart. this is supposed to be a new engine and have no sounds like this. I will make sure the rockers are not hitting the valve cover and check the PCV system first before I do anything else....its a pain to pull the heads with the damn studs there.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it was a bearing your oil pressure would suck. Check to see if the plug wires are on COMPLETLY. This seems to be a very often problem. I noticed I had a ticking and then remember I had forgotten to put a plug wire back on.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto here. First night we fired it up.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WELL guess what peoples
the damn ticking was the Harland Sharp rockers hitting the side of the heads (towards the intake) on both sides. they even made a little triangle shape groove where it was rubbing. anyhow I swaped them for the stock ones and the ticking is no longer there. the car sounds amazing and pulls very nicely. I am very dissapointed with the HS because they seem to be to LONG for them not to rub. I would like to know if its possible for Harland to refund me the $$ I spent on those things since they were supposed to fit. Now I would understand if they hit the valve covers but they were not hitting the covers., they were hitting the heads themselves making this awful ticking noise......thanks for chipping in
David
Old 08-12-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that other people have had the same problem with some aftermarket rocker arms hitting the heads in the exact same area. Could you just take a dremel or something and smooth out the spots they were rubbing and put them back on??