Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp Maf

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Slp Maf

I like the looks of the SLP MAF, but I don't want it tricking the computer. It's creating issues now that I have an aftermarket tune and cam.

Has anyone been able to make the SLP MAF act as the stock MAF?

There are three wires for the stock connection, but on the SLP there are those extra 2 on the right. I was thinking of just rigging somthing up so that the only connections that are made are the original 3 wires. Has anyone tried that? Do you think it would work? I'm not sure how the SLP MAF tricks the computer.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm gonna give you this little bit of advice...take it, leave it, don't care.

If you don't have the ability, knowledge, or software to make changes to your car's computer yourself, do NOT do this mod. It will cause headaches, and you won't gain a damn thing. The software (like HPTuners or EFI's Flashscan) is the most important part, because we can direct you from there.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and the other two wires going into their MAF is for the embedded IAT sensor it has. It is meant to replace the separate unit that lives in the corner of your air lid.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Oh, and the other two wires going into their MAF is for the embedded IAT sensor it has. It is meant to replace the separate unit that lives in the corner of your air lid.
Well my hope was to just take out those extra two connections and be able to plug it up as normal. Your saying don't do that unless I have HP tuners or LS1 Edit? I would think since the connections aren't being made, then the extra sensor in the SLP Maf wouldn't work and then cause it to run like the stocker. I'll cause myself a huge headache if I do that? What'll happen?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

No, the extra connection isn't an issue. That is nothing more than a wiring harness. If anything, the IAT sensor in the MAF is more accurate than the one in your lid, so that'd be a plus.

Where you need HPTuners or the like is to actually adjust the MAF table to reflect that you have a new one in there. There simply isn't enough information available to accurately tune a MAF right now. There are people taking a stab at it, and some have had limited success, but not enough for me to even think about reenabling the MAF sensor on my car.

Unless you are making a god-awful amount of HP (500+), this MAF won't make a difference, because the stocker flows just fine.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
No, the extra connection isn't an issue. That is nothing more than a wiring harness. If anything, the IAT sensor in the MAF is more accurate than the one in your lid, so that'd be a plus.

Where you need HPTuners or the like is to actually adjust the MAF table to reflect that you have a new one in there. There simply isn't enough information available to accurately tune a MAF right now. There are people taking a stab at it, and some have had limited success, but not enough for me to even think about reenabling the MAF sensor on my car.

Unless you are making a god-awful amount of HP (500+), this MAF won't make a difference, because the stocker flows just fine.
I originally did the SLP MAF mod for appearance. I knew it wouldn't net hardly any more hp.

So the main problem isn't that the SLP MAF tricks the computer? The main problem will be that I need to have it tuned to accept more air?

I guess it's not being tricked by those extra 2 wires...wierd. How does the SLP MAF trick the computer? btw thanks for all the info MeentSS02.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

No, the two extra wires aren't the culprit, but there is a culprit in there. SLP takes a Delphi 85mm MAF and solders in a resistor, which does trick the computer. Because of this, no one has a good table to load in place of the stock MAF table that is actually accurate. The stock calibration table certainly won't cover what this MAF is seeing...all the table is is a look up value that tells the computer "If the MAF is seeing this Hz, it means you are getting XXX.X airflow." Different sized MAF = different airflow per Hz reading.

The problem is that the computer relies pretty heavily on the MAF reading to figure out how much air it is ingesting, but checks it against the volumetric efficiency table. These two things need to be calibrated in unison so you don't get one disagreeing with the other, which will be evident because your car won't run very smooth if they can't agree.

Make sense?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was informed by a very informative f-body tuner(Ed Wright) not to ever mess with your MAF. I listen to him, he is runnin 10's N/A & is what I would consider one of the top f-body tuners in the nation.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Makes sense. So nobody has a way to disable the resistor? That' do the trick then right?

If anyone has a way of turning the SLP MAF into a "stock like" component, def. let me know! I don't want to have to tune for this thing.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, you can get rid of the resistor, but the fact remains that that MAF and its associated (but different) mass airflow table was calibrated for a truck and its intake tract, not yours. It just becomes a pain in the *** because there is no really good way to correlate MAF Hz to grams of airflow (but GM sure does) based on your current intake, exhaust, etc., since that all has an impact on how much air your car ingests.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I were to take the resistor out, how would I do that? Is the resistor just that small black thing that's sauldered on the inside of the top section?

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 08-12-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are NOT listening, LEAVE THAT PEICE OF **** OFF UR CAR!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Not having seen an actual SLP MAF, I wouldn't know what the damn resistor looks like. You really don't want to do that though. The only reason I'm running an 85mm MAF is because I'm running in permanent, closed loop speed density mode, which takes no information from the MAF whatsoever. Therefore, I don't have to worry about its calibration.

At this time, if you can't do speed density, I'd recommend leaving your MAF stock...i.e. COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED like it came from the factory. No 85mm, no nothing.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it would help these guys to take a look in the tuning section.

How the MAF works

How to tune a MAF

As always, search is your friend - don't be afraid to use it!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEAVE THE MAF ALONE!! If you don't KNOW what you are doing (obviously don't since you are asking) do not mess with the maf at all. Search would tell you that this is what the average tech member will tell you.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Maybe it would help these guys to take a look in the tuning section.

How the MAF works

How to tune a MAF

As always, search is your friend - don't be afraid to use it!
I've already read that...thankx. What I didn't read in those sections was how to make the slp maf act like stock by possibly taking out the resistor.

The reason why I'm asking is because I don't have hp tuners, or ls1 edit. I want to see if there are any options to take care of this problem w/o tuning. I'm pretty sure I found the resistor and it looks like it's just sauldered in there. Even if I screw up the slp maf, what's the big deal? It's prolly better that I don't use it anyways.

And btw lilbuddy, obviosly that's the easy answer. Dont' use it. Never would have thought of that...thankx.

See, the thing is, my car is running decently with the slp maf on it now. I think it causes the biggest problems when your tuning the car with it on there. If that resistor is the only thing that needs to come out to get rid of the slight surging, then that's my answer. I'll just take that out and see if that cures the problem. If not, then I'll toss the pos.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 08-13-2005 at 03:49 PM.