Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan leak, slightly different questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan leak, slightly different questions

I have an oil leak somewhere from the back of the motor that I think may be coming from the oil pan to block interface. Before the motor was installed, I replaced the oil pan gasket and made sure to put the dabs of RTV in the back corners like you're suppose to. I aslo paid close attention to make sure I lined the oilpan up correctly with the block.

1. Could I have put too much RTV in the corners causing a gap along the rest of the rear oil pan gasket seal?

2. Should I have run a bead of RTV from one corner to the other corner along the back edge of the oil pan?

3. Since the new gasket isn't rivited to the pan like the original, can I remove the oil pan bolts and drop the pan enough to inspect the gasket, remove the old RTV and try it again without jacking up the motor or dropping the K Member? What should I look for in terms of a damaged gasket or a gasket that has been compressed too much (I did torque the bolts to GM spec during the pan installation)?

4. If I do drop the pan and reattempt the RTV, do I have to clean off and reapply the RTV to the front corners as well?

5. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't just run RTV sealant all along the oil pan instead of using the gasket? Is the pressure too great that it would blow out the RTV?

Thanks for the help!
Matt
Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y-man
5. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't just run RTV sealant all along the oil pan instead of using the gasket? Is the pressure too great that it would blow out the RTV?
Might work... A few C5 guys have done this to successfully combat leaking differentials.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

What's the pressure like inside the differential? Is the pressure higher inside the motor?

Anyone ever attempted to just drop the oil pan enough to redo the RTV instead of dropping the K member and completely removing the oil pan?