Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

where did my dipstick go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did my dipstick go?

went to check the oil the other day and freaked out when it was dry, upon another look the entire tip the stick has snapped off.

the block is an 88+ 350, I'm using a cheap spectre dip and tube for that block, I didn't notice it hitting the crank, but there's an ever so slight upward bend on the sharp, broken edge of the stick.

anyone ever run into that before?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

nope can't say i have i usually check the clearances when i assambly a motor i guess it is a learning exsperiance
Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Teching In

i had this problem once, that motor ate a couple of them before i gave up and just kept on using the broken stick. i don't know why, i couldn't see what was hitting it and both ends of the dip sticks were laying in the bottom of the pan. they were elcheapo dip sticks and were in a 400 sbc if that means anything. now i use lokar(spelling) dip sticks and have not had a problem with those yet.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Default dont worry

You have a tray in your engine??? If so in my past experince it will go on top and the throw on the crank will snap it off . i would not worry to much because their is no way it will turn up and even if it did it cant go thrue the screen in the pump. Jusy my 2cents Phil

Quick Reply: where did my dipstick go?