Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked or bad tool mark on heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cracked or bad tool mark on heads?

I got my heads last week. I opened the box and looked at the heads

Overall the heads are new normal clean heads.

My concerned is about a tool mark that cut to deep and will make the head weak and keep cracking.

Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. The cut is a good 1/16 inch deep. How weak will this make the head heat cycle after heat cycle for years. One of the people from the company I bought them from asked if the cuts were like that on both heads ( its not ), and another person from the company said they look ok but check with manufacture.

I know it's the weekend and I dont want company bashing. Im heading out of the country for a week monday. I wanted a feel if I need to address this issue when I come home. PLEASE, NO COMPANY BASHING.

I wanted to see if anyone else had the deep cuts and what my level of concern should be.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked or bad tool mark on heads?-heads-003.jpg   Cracked or bad tool mark on heads?-heads-002.jpg   Cracked or bad tool mark on heads?-heads-001.jpg  
Old 08-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil...

That is simply a little casting flash at the parting line of the cylinder head where the two halves of the mold meet. You don't have to give it a second thought. Take a close look at a new aluminum block and you will that type of situation as well. You can grind it smooth if it makes you feel better (and clean the head when your done) or just leave it alone.

Tony M.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a normal casting mark as Tony has stated.. place I used to work at got alot of cast parts in, I'd see that kind of thing all the time ( I used to do quality inspection in the receiving department )

it's not a crack.. I used to think those were too, until I had a guy x ray one for me and show me that it wasn't... don't be concerned.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what I thought it was, but that cut was not ground like the others, and deeper and I wasnt sure if I could grind it out myself, Or If I was fixing a problem in the future. As long as it wont keep growing along the side head .

Last edited by Phil'sC5vette; 08-14-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it..... for the head to crakc there... I can't imagine what you'd have to be running for that to happen really.