Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Cam suggestion...

Old 08-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Cam suggestion...

See my sig for what I have now. The problem is that the XER lobes on the cam are (I believe) making my valvetrain very loud. Other than that, I love the cam. I'm looking for a little bigger cam with roughly the same lift but a with a less agressive ramp. I have double springs, but do not want to change any other VT components or worry about PTV issues. Any suggestions? Thanks...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Byter
See my sig for what I have now. The problem is that the XER lobes on the cam are (I believe) making my valvetrain very loud. Other than that, I love the cam. I'm looking for a little bigger cam with roughly the same lift but a with a less agressive ramp. I have double springs, but do not want to change any other VT components or worry about PTV issues. Any suggestions? Thanks...
The problem is that most all of the high lift cams make valve train noise. My Stock LS6 camshaft makes a good amount of valvetrain noise. IMHO there is not much to be gained from lifting a stock headed cars valves past .55x. Might look into more duration on XE lobes in the neighborhood of .55x lift.

EDIT: Just read that you have AFR 205s, the camshaft you have is the one they reccomend for those heads. You have the exact setup I would do on my Z if I had money. AFR, 224/228 on 114, LGMLTs...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niphilli
The problem is that most all of the high lift cams make valve train noise. My Stock LS6 camshaft makes a good amount of valvetrain noise. IMHO there is not much to be gained from lifting a stock headed cars valves past .55x. Might look into more duration on XE lobes in the neighborhood of .55x lift.

EDIT: Just read that you have AFR 205s, the camshaft you have is the one they reccomend for those heads. You have the exact setup I would do on my Z if I had money. AFR, 224/228 on 114, LGMLTs...
354/354 on ported LS1 heads and Lunati 216/218 cam. Before that (its hard to remember), but right around 300/300.

Yeah, I know one of the results of my question may be that I have to live with it (which is ok, if I have to). Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING suggested on this board to try to make things different. I've replaced heads, cam, shortblock, lifters, exhaust, pushrods. I've tried stock rockers and HS rockers with multiple different size pushrods.

I love the cam I have now. As I noted in my sig, I still need a comprehensive tune after the LGM's but the torque curve is almost flat when it was dyno'd after the AFR H/C install.

Search this Thread