Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer Avic-X1 (DVD Navi HU)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pioneer Avic-X1 (DVD Navi HU)

Hi,

I have just bought a Pioneer Avic-X1 Head unit (I live in Europe) and had it fitted by pro's locally however, the mapping system gets lost very easily at present. Reading the manual... it says
"the mobile navigation system is connected here (Car Speed Signal Input), to detect the distance the vehicle travels. Always connect the vehicle's speed detection circuit or the ND-PG1 speedpulse generator, sold separately. Failure to make this connection will increase errors in the location display"....

and in the Problem section of the manual it says

Symptom - "Positioning error is large.... Caused by - Your vehicle is operating in Simple Hybrid mode, Action - Connect the speed signal input.

I have checked the Navi unit and it shows up that I am running the unit in Simple Hybrid Mode..... so I suspect the installers did not hook up this wire

Does anyone know if and where the Speed sensor is located on a 2000 Camaro SS... I believe it is located in the Powertrain Control Module.... but I dont know where that is or what color wire I will need when inside the PCM!!

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is taking it back to the shop that installed it, to have them install it right, an option?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Default US cars in the UK - Hard to modify

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Is taking it back to the shop that installed it, to have them install it right, an option?
Thanks for the reply and as it turns out, yes I will however as you will see below my reason for trying to avoid this:

I ended up finding the Camaro's VSS wire, connected to the back of the stock radio, in the grey coloured clip of wires and the VSS was green and white in colour. As I live in the UK the shop has no idea about US cars or 1.5din headunits, let alone the inner workings of the wire loom, so I was trying to fix it myself.
In the process I found out:
1 - they simply fixed the unit to some plastic and glued this to the center console surround, so now if I want to look at / fix the heating controls or similiar, the head unit comes out
2 - They bypassed the stock amplifier as it is 2 ohms
3 - In bypassing the stock amp, they forgot to secure it back again and it struck the inner side of the body on every bump or turn.
4 - No instruction manual provided with unit at first (internet is great for manuals)
5 - the cd chnager they installe dalso is only velcro'd down, not bolted.
6 - The mounted the hide away unit upside down, so if I turn left, the Navi unit thinks I've turned right and vice versa.

I am now going back to have the unit flipped up correctly and to discuss a refund for my install as it was £250 ($450) and they had my car for 2 days - and nothing works - all this from a "top" rated, nationally recognised shop

I suppose this is the issue in owning a US car in the UK - no one knows how to look after them, fix or modify.

Thanks for the reply and providing a forum where I can vent my frustration.
UKCamaroSS
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

sorry to hear about your issues with the stereo Check out www.caraudioforum.com and see if they can help out .. If I remember correctly, ALOT of people on that forum have problems with this unit's NAVI syetm..
Old 08-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd, I've installed a good number of these and haven't had any customers come back with problems. As for the speed sense, it should be a white wire (blue plug at the PCM) but should also follow all the way to the back of the gauges. Something you definatly have to test (kind of a pain) to be sure.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-X1 (DVD Navi HU)