Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The Real Cal Article: "Local law enforcement receive grant to combat street racing"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Real Cal Article: "Local law enforcement receive grant to combat street racing"

This is from the Sacramento Business Journal, 8/3/05. Notice that Sac only gets $450,000 out of the $5Mil, and splits it a number of ways:

---------------------------------
Sacramento-area law enforcement on Wednesday received the first in a series of grants intended to combat street racing.

The $450,000 grant for the Sacramento region is part of a $5 million fund administered by the state's Office of Traffic Safety.

The grant will be used for the following:

- Officer training to recognize automobiles that have been illegally modified for street racing;
- Funds for officer overtime in connection with joint enforcement operations cracking down on street racing events;
- Street racing education presentations to 250 high school and college students.

The grants are modeled after the Drag-Net Program at the San Diego Police Department, a pilot project funded three years ago through a $700,000 grant. The program is credited with helping reduce the number of street-racing deaths from a high of 16 in 2002 to four during the past two years.

The local grant will be shared by the police departments of Sacramento, Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom and Roseville, the Sacramento County sheriff, and the California Highway Patrol.

The grant announcement was made at the headquarters of coffee company Java City, where employee Kim Wheeler was killed by a street racer in mid-June as she was turning onto Del Paso Road leaving work.
---------------------------------------

Here's the link:

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...1/daily24.html.

I'm trying to find out what other regions will get money.

Jim
Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this beats that gossiping thread, i dont really think 450k will do too much to prevent street racing though.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Teching In

450k to help save an additional 12 lives. I'm sure 450k could save more lives elsewhere....
Old 08-14-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

My friend Scott the Cop told me that the Illegal Racing Equiment Seminars for the cops are going to use the standard CHP list of things that they watch for.

Seems like this list would catch a lot of people - including me if they were strict about the exhaust noise and underhood mods. The standards are written to give them a large number of things to hassle you about once you've caught their eye (or ear).

Here are some highlights from the CHP site:

There are 3 listings for 'illegal' performance parts. Start with the biggy:

- Illegal engine modifications. Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC). See Air Resources Board web site for more info and list of parts that are legal.

- Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

- Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise."
NOTE: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

- Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC). (For high night speeds, a lot of driver's use higher wattage bulbs w/relays; I like a lot of light with your highs on, so I consider this performance related.)

NON-PERFORMANCE RELATED:

- LOUD CAR STEREO: Illegal if heard more than 50 feet from the vehicle
(27007 VC).

- LICENSE PLATES: Lack of front and rear DMV-issued license plates
(5200 VC).

- TINT: Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC).

There are a whole bunch about add-on lights, colored lights, blinkers/blinking lights, hydraulics and air lifts, etc.

THE PENALTIES, right from their page:

"Street racing is illegal. The CHP won't hesitate to take street racers to court."

A first conviction on a street racing violation means:
Minimum county jail sentence of 24 hours and maximum of 90 days.
Vehicle probably impounded for at least 30 days.
Owner responsible for vehicle's towing and storage charges ($1,000 or more).
If owner fails to pay, vehicle could be sold at a lien sale.
Anyone who aids or abets a street race also faces a maximum 90-day jail sentence.

"Instead, take your car to a National Hot Rod Association-sanctioned track or drag strip, where you can race safely under optimum conditions."

They end the page with their excellent version of "Just Say No":

"Remember - FTBC (failure to be cool) is not a crime!"
What commitee thought that one up? Probably paid a consultant to come up with it...

Here's the entire list:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Jim

Last edited by DeltaT; 08-14-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

OMG 16 deaths on 02 what are we to do. I wonder how many people cell phone yakking SUV driving soccor moms killed in 02.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

On average I believe there are about 4000 deaths per year due to traffic accidents.
Over a two year period they "saved" 12 lives. 6 per year. It could be just coincidence.
Not due to the crack down. They need to "train" the officers to recognize cell phone
junkies and get them to lay down the cell phone. I bet that would do much more
for decreasing the numbers of traffic fatalities. Oh, one more thing, about the the
NHRA sponsored tracks being in optimum conditions, they never are for test and
tune and grudge nights. I have see conditions here so bad, tracks so poorly prepped,
that there are 3 or 4 accidents per night. Hell they even let people race when there
is dew on the track. Two 03 Cobras ate it on the dew covered track. Both were lucky
to be alive as they lost it on the top side of the track. If they are truly interested in
saving lives, which we know that isn't the case, they would make sure the tracks they
are "prodding" us to use are as optimum as they claim.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by X_03_Cobra_guy
On average I believe there are about 4000 deaths per year due to traffic accidents.
Over a two year period they "saved" 12 lives. 6 per year. It could be just coincidence.
Not due to the crack down. They need to "train" the officers to recognize cell phone
junkies and get them to lay down the cell phone. I bet that would do much more
for decreasing the numbers of traffic fatalities. Oh, one more thing, about the the
NHRA sponsored tracks being in optimum conditions, they never are for test and
tune and grudge nights. I have see conditions here so bad, tracks so poorly prepped,
that there are 3 or 4 accidents per night. Hell they even let people race when there
is dew on the track. Two 03 Cobras ate it on the dew covered track. Both were lucky
to be alive as they lost it on the top side of the track. If they are truly interested in
saving lives, which we know that isn't the case, they would make sure the tracks they
are "prodding" us to use are as optimum as they claim.
I think it's just money poorly spent. If the goal is saving lives well they can save lives a million other ways much more effectively. The problem is the goal is about increasing their revenues not saving lives.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Why not at the Cops and Rodders show, the cops sit outside the gate and get all the cars that have no front plates, loud exhaust, etc...after the shows over?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: I think it's just money poorly spent. If the goal is saving lives well they can save lives a million other ways much more effectively. The problem is the goal is about increasing their revenues not saving lives.

Bingo......you hit the nail on the head!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's good they are saving lives, but I wonder how many more lives would have been saved cracking down on DUI's or crack dealers?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

omg people are killed on there cel phones while driving than people street racing, im not gonna step, i dot care
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

ok i dont see a problem if we do it out in the country, but i think the money could have deffinately been spent wiser, and stop people from modding cars, thats stupid
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man ive said it before ill say it again, Yall can keep cali. ****** place is retarded. Hopefully it will be a long time till they adopt these retarded ideas on the East coast. With all the new rules and **** they are doin in cali you would think that they are fighting something HUGE. Not 16 ****** deaths a year. GL in cali.....

John
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Hey, it's the land of fruits, nuts and vegetables! Sometimes you see all 3 in one car!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Damn, CA weather sure does sound nice, but those laws do not. I find it interesting about the headlight law that it tells the officer to check the bulb package or the bulb itself for DOT stampings. That would be interesting to see if they properly train a officer on how to remove headlight bulbs from cars.

Matt
Old 08-15-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeltaT
[I][B] The program is credited with helping reduce the number of street-racing deaths from a high of 16 in 2002 to four during the past two years.

Jim

THIS IS SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. What the hell do these people do, not pay attention to movies? When Fast and the Furious premiered in 2001 it sparked a fire in every 16 year olds *** that "NOS" and street racing in and out of traffic was cool. They wonder why it's come down... the amount/impact that these new movies have on the kids is dimmed, due to the fact that they've already seen the first one. It's like watching Ninja Turtle's 1,2,3,4,5,6943604306583... the first one is always the one you remember, like any normal human would. I mean, for the older people out there, I'm sure you remember the first chick you boned.. It's just kind of obvious that the flame is diminishing, just like after "Biker Broz" or whatever it was.. came out, the amount of "street stunting" and other random acts of stupidity on bikes started occuring more and more. I just think they need to lay off the whole smog check/illegal modification to the exhaust check. They need to get a noise pollutant per car, since they don't seem to be able to tell that the Harley next to me makes my cammed ls1 sound like a ****** kitten, yet I get the $480 ticket.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:46 AM
On The Tree

I remember years ago I was with my buddy getting harassed by the local amatuer police department for his exhaust when some yuppy went roaring by wheel up (first gear of course). And all the cop had to say was "Man I wish I had my bike out".

Last edited by Sukkoi19; 10-04-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sukkoi19
Ahhh yes Hardleys the rice of the bike world. I remember years ago I was with my buddy getting harassed by the local amatuer police department for his exhaust when some yuppy went roaring by wheel up (first gear of course). And all the cop had to say was "Man I wish I had my bike out".

Irony is the exhaust noise restriction is even tighter on motorcycles, than other motor vehicles.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Stupid tree huggin hippie liberals. Why don't they do something about all the illegals coming over the border spreading leprosy and tyberculosis. I think the money would be better spent there.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

i agree with u gold ta there are a lot bigger problems