Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Interior lighting wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Interior lighting wiring question

I'm adding some footwell lighting to my camaro (2 led strips). I'd like to wire them into my interior lights so that they dim out after the doors shut. I plan to wire them so that I only have one (+) and one (-) to hook up.
Can someone tell me specifically what wires (color and location) I should splice into (2002 camaro SS)? Also, would I need to use a relay even though LEDs draw so little? how would i hook up the relay if needed?
Thanks for any help
Andrew
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All of the courtesy lights (map lights, hatch light, etc.) are supplied with battery power all the time. The BCM controls them by gradually reducing the ground to provide the "theater" dimming effect. That variable ground wire is the white wire in position D1 of the 32-pin blue connector at the BCM (it's the only all white wire in that connector).

There is no need for a relay. Relays are used to control a high current circuit using a low current circuit or to switch polarity (e.g. turn on a power feed using a ground signal). Neither situation applies in your case.

Hook up the positive wire of the lights to a battery (constant) power source such as the orange wire in the radio harness. Then hook up the ground wire to the white wire mentioned above. This will make your lights go on and off the same as the courtesy lights. Bear in mind that LEDs don't fade the same way as normal bulbs - they'll fade to a certain point then just turn off.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the very helpful info!! That's exactily what I needed to know. I'm fairly familiar with electronics and how LEDs work etc..., but when it comes to splicing into the car's wiring, I want to be 1,000% sure