Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake Install ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 intake Install ???

I just want to make sure not to mess up my oil pressure sending unit while puting the LS6 intake on/pulling LS1 intake off. What is the best way to do this? I have heard all the stories that everyone breaks it. I have searched and came up with nothin and ls1howto doesnt really address the way to take disconnect it very well. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you pull the intake, dont push it back, just pull it straight up and out...make sure everything behind it is disconnected...try to pull it more outward is my best tip..

Jon
Old 08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it all unbloted and remove the rubber hose that runs to the brake booster at the brake booster and feed it past the oil pres sender as you pull the intake out. Don't forget to dsiconnect the MAP sensor and the HVAC vacume line back there too. COVER THE INTAKE PORTS WHEN YOU"RE WORKING ON THE VALLEY COVER. That's how I did mine, noting broke
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt break mine, honestly i dont see how u can break it bc who would push it back? u pull it forward a little, disconnect all the stuff back there then pull it off all the way.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

I think some are breaking it by not disconecting the big vacume line for the brakes before pulling it out. If it doesn't want to come out, find out why, don't pull harder.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

lol i broke mine after i had taken the heads off tranny everything and i broke it by accident but i figure ill need a new one anyway my 98z sensors probably have 108k on them i have a question about the sensor that sits right next to the oil pressure sure i believe its the Cam Sensor will a Cam sensor from a 04 LS6 z06 work? i bought a long block 04 ls6 and it cam with sensors i was wondering if i can use any of the sensors on it? Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Mine came out easy, I really couldn't see how anyone can break that sending unit unless they are being really careless..
Old 08-15-2005, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

yeah very easy. i had my entire manifold swap done in just under an hour. and like he said up there, don't pull harder find out whats stopping it from coming out.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

It's not pushing it back that will break the sending unit(there's no need to push it back) it's pulling it out with the brake booster tube wrapped around the oil sending unit. Even if you disconnect the brake booster from the firewall, it will still be stuck tightly behind the oil sending unit(at least mine was). When you go to pull your intake out, the brake booster tube will crack the oil sending unit. The key is to reach behind and lift the brake booster tube up and over the oil sending unit as you pull out the intake. Pull the intake out a few inches and angle it counter clockwise as you do it. That will give you enough access to undo the map sensor and tube connected to the rear left of the intake.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

It's not so much pushing it back that will break the sending unit(there's no need to push it back). It's pulling it out with the brake booster tube wrapped around the oil sending unit that will do it. Even if you disconnect the brake booster from the firewall, it will still be stuck tightly behind the oil sending unit(at least mine was). When you go to pull your intake out, the brake booster tube will crack the oil sending unit. The key is to reach behind and lift the brake booster tube up and over the oil sending unit as you pull out the intake. Pull the intake out a few inches and angle it counter clockwise as you do it. That will give you enough access to undo the map sensor and tube connected to the rear left of the intake.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is tight there behind the back, I just installed an LSX instake manifold, which dosn''t seem to leave much room around the back, I ended up taking of the EGR and AIR at the same time created some room at the back.

I took mine off with keeping the brake booster pipe intact, removed the MAP sensor plug and the small vaccum pipe on the left, lift up the intake and pull forward lightly. May be wise to get someone to help you lift it as leaning over the car its a little awkward to lift the intake up.

I broke my sensor but using a ratchet, was changing the screws in the block for lower profile ones (in the LSX intake kit), wasn't watching what I was doing and chatting, ratchet swung round and knocked the sensor. Broke it.

New sensor installed and intake was simple to put on afterwards, was less pipes at the back now, and know many people have broken the sensor, if you are careful you have nothing to worry about.

Got some photos at:-
http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/ca...ntake_Manifold
Old 08-15-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see how it would be easy to break the sending unit, the vaccum hose to the brake booster pretty much wraps around it.
My sending unit just went bad, and I ended up replacing it and the oil pump while swapping in my LS6 intake. A new unit is only $40, seeing how your car is a 98' I'd spring for a new one just for peice of mind.
Kind of like changing spark plugs when you do headers.