Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know I know

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I know I know

I know I'll get flamed for posting up another LS1 ticking noise, but I just want some opinions. I've determined that it's the oiling system on my car. The oil pressure never really goes above 40 psi unless it's right after a cold start. even reving the motor to the limiter dostn't do much to raise the pressure. When I first installed my cam about 2 years ago I did the noobie mistake of not getting the oil pickup o-ring sealed right and ended up taking a chunk out of it. I had this same noise but worse at that time and the oil pressure was all over the place. So I replaced the o-ring and it pretty much fixed the problem and brought the noise down to a normal sewing machine noise. I just recently installed arp rod bolts and installed a new o-ring, the blue one, and it really didn't seem to fit well in the first place. I emediatly noticed the oil pressure has dropped by about 15-20 psi, and the tick is back. I've decided to buy an LS6 ported oil pump from thunder racing, and I'm going to get an o-ring that I have to smash the **** out of it to get it in so I know it seals right. The heads are milled .040 and I have an aftermarked cam from thunder racing which "should" have a smaller base circle so I assume the stock 7.40 chromoly pushrods I installed are the right length. Anyway I'll post up a new vid if the noise goes away. Here is my wonderfull 20,000.00 sewing maching! LOL!!

The vid is from a cold start (sitting all night) through warm up and compleetly warmed up from all angles.
http://geoffwhite18.com/ticktick.wmv

any input would be appriciated.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

No one has any ideas? The noise is normal for an LS1 at first, but once it warms up it gets louder!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

I've got that same exact noise. Dont know what it is. My rockers are good. No bent pushrods. The only thing I'm left at is pulling the heads and changing the lifters. I'm stumped. My car does it constantly, cold, warm. Always below 2000rpms. After that it goes away.

Ski
Old 08-17-2005, 06:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've experienced problems where the oil pump o ring leaks and oil pressure isn't as high as it should be, and the lifters weren't fully pumped up. It can happen...
Are you sure that the standard length 7.4 pushrod is what your combination requires? If oil pressure is fairly normal, I would look into the valvetrain. Bob
Old 08-21-2005, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

Just a little update, I found a chunk of sylicone stuck in a little valve where the oil filter goes. There is a little valve in there and it was stuck open. I cleaned it out and the tick has reduced it self to a tap, but it's still there. Oil pump is next!