Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR effect gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR effect gas mileage?

My SES light has been coming on and off over the past few days. I scanned and it was P0404 egr. I deleted it it came back then went off by itself then came back again. I noticed my last two tanks the mileage was down a bit. How much to replace it? or just can I clean it and how? Any help is much apppreciated, thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

P0404 is EGR Position error. It means that the computer commanded it open, but its actual position varied more than 20%. This could occur if its stuck shut, or the spring is weak allowing the pintle to move excessivly.

Gas mileage can be effected by loss of EGR operation. When the code sets, it disables the EGR for the remainder of the key cycle. When cruising on the highway, the EGR is commanded open. When this occurs, inert gas is recirculated back into the intake and this reduces pumping loss, therefore improving gas mileage.

At one time, the Ford Explorer was able to pass emissions without an EGR valve, so it was removed. As a result, the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) suffered, so the EGR valve was put back on.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe this is why I noticed my mileage went down a tad when I did my long tubes and deleted the EGR and AIR. I did get 27mpg all highway on my last tank but that was lower than what I got before...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPRYZE
P0404 is EGR Position error. It means that the computer commanded it open, but its actual position varied more than 20%. This could occur if its stuck shut, or the spring is weak allowing the pintle to move excessivly.

Gas mileage can be effected by loss of EGR operation. When the code sets, it disables the EGR for the remainder of the key cycle. When cruising on the highway, the EGR is commanded open. When this occurs, inert gas is recirculated back into the intake and this reduces pumping loss, therefore improving gas mileage.

At one time, the Ford Explorer was able to pass emissions without an EGR valve, so it was removed. As a result, the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) suffered, so the EGR valve was put back on.
Thank you for the quality information!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black70Stang
Thank you for the quality information!
I'm an ex-GM Tech who is now teaching advanced drivability and emissions for Universal Technical Institute (NTI Campus). I help out when I can!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Launching!

So would taking off and cleaning it help? I would assume so. What do I use to clean it, carb cleaner? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

I have had very few "success" stories from cleaning them. If there is carbon buildup on the pintle causing it to stick shut, then cleaning "may" help it. If its an internal malfunction, cleaning will not help.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

I was wondering the same thing. When I buy headers, should I keep the emissions, or ditch them (AIR & EGR). I dont want to lose any gas mileage?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good question! Does anyone have an opinion?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
I was wondering the same thing. When I buy headers, should I keep the emissions, or ditch them (AIR & EGR). I dont want to lose any gas mileage?
I kept them. As far as I know, deleting them can cause issues, and keeping them doesn't hurt performance.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AIR sytem is only used for faster cat "light off" during start up, it has nothing to do with gas mileage, so if you have long tubes and no cats then the system is useless
Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by oange ss
AIR sytem is only used for faster cat "light off" during start up, it has nothing to do with gas mileage, so if you have long tubes and no cats then the system is useless
I just read another post that says that while cruising, the AIR system helps the engine run more efficiently, helping fuel economy.

Either way, it doesn't seem to "hurt" anything, so why not keep it?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It really cleans up the look of the engine without the tubes and AIR and EGR equipment. If it isn't necessary and you like a less cluttered engine, why not remove it? I'll probably take mine off when I put LT's on.