Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT headers,y-pipe and LM

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT headers,y-pipe and LM

ok ive heard alot of things about runnnig headers,ypipe and the loud mouth ive heard that its way too loud and sounds terrible and i heard it sounds good and ive heard more sounds like *** then sounds good..i know i want it to be really loud but i dont want to spend alot on the cat back so if i get the loud mouth 2 will that help it from sounding like crap or just stick with the loudmouth and blow my ear drums
Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
SSU, come over and relax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its LOUD
Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

If you want it to be really loud then get either of the loudmouths. But you may get tired of the sound after a while, to be on the safe side I would go with cats as well. You can also get a more mellow catback and a cutout.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume you mean running Headers, ORY, and LM 1 or 2. I'm running QTP LTs, QTP catted Y, and LM 1 and its great, besides my QTP catted Y hanging low. It scrapes every now and than.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Do you already have the loudmouth?

For the loudmouth to sound decent you MUST RUN CATS, even high flow cats will go a long ways. Get high flow cats, swap/add mufflers or ditch the loudmouth altogether, IMO. Some say they like the sound of headers, ORY and loudmouth but to me it's dictionary definition of . Sounds like an old beater pickup running straight pipes, blats, RASP, etc. It is fuggin loud, but you can have a LOUD exhaust that sounds good too. (duals!)

If you want a cheap cat-back look at Hooker or Magnaflow. They are significantly quieter than the loudmouth but the flow is excellent and the sound is very good.

There really isn't a cat-back I can think of that is loud and has a good, rasp free sound with an ORY. Y-pipes just aren't the best. (not that I am bias or anything....)

FYI: When I installed my headers I sold my loudmouth and got duals.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Launching!

here is mine on a cold start up so it popped a little.....doesn't happen very often and if it does it's only on cold start, not after she's warm......exhaust mods are in sig
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...amaro%20SS&p=1
whatever you do don't get QTP's catted y cuz like the guy above said it hangs low i've already been there and done that......check this FWIW
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=QTP+catted+Y
Old 08-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

You need back pressure! I had Hooker long tubes with a y-pipe connected to my old SLP Loudmouth. Damn it was loud and I thought it sounded sweet. Same noise if you run open headers pretty much. But now that I have been investing more money into my car I found out the more HP you have your going to need back pressure. The loud mouth exhaust is just a pipe pretty much with no muffler. I recommend If you are going to be dumping money into you car your best bet is to purchase something you can use the whole time. No cats is the way to go with some good exhaust with a muffler. I recommend purchasing the Magna Flow. Still sounds sweet when it gets at high RPM's but quiet when I am crusing. Just my opinion. PEACE!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you need a catted Y get the TSP one. I have it and the LM and the resonator hangs lower than the Y pipe does. Great ground clearancea and doesnt bang the floor. Sounds mean as hell too. I love it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thats the same setup I used to run Its way too loud but Its good for scaring the **** out of kids and moms in the neighborhood
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRANSAMWS6-98
You need back pressure!
No, you don't. You do want decent exhaust gas velocity, but even a straight 3" pipe will do just fine for the vast majority of us.

I had Hooker long tubes with a y-pipe connected to my old SLP Loudmouth. Damn it was loud and I thought it sounded sweet. Same noise if you run open headers pretty much.
Have you run open headers before? Straight open headers are INSANE and WAY louder than headers/ory/loudmouth. Trust me, I ran open headers for weeks a couple years ago.

But now that I have been investing more money into my car I found out the more HP you have your going to need back pressure.

What makes you say this?

I recommend purchasing the Magna Flow.
I can agree with that.