Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cats?

can bad cats cause a loss in power. car doesnt feel as strong as it did a couple of months ago.

front o2's, plugs/wires, fuel filter and pcv have been changed within the last month.

before the changes i had a missfire code that i was tracking for a month and it ended up being a loose fuse to bank 1 injectors.

thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but I would think they could
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if they break up and a block up. thats a big exhaust restiction.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

what you would feel is poor throtle response and no acceleration.....but this would set a check engine light because the MAP sensor would see low manifold pressure.One way you can check the cats for blockage is to attach a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source then watch the engine vacuum as you rev the engine in park.At idle you should have 18 inches and steady...as you slowly rev it to 3k vacuum should rise up steadily to 20 or more.............if it drops the cats are clogged or blocked.

If you are having a serious power loss there are a few things to check....1st is the gasoline you are buying mixed with 10% ethanol...this will cause a power loss.Check ebrake to be sure its releasing completely,check tire pressures also.Then look at the air filter,fuel filter and fuel pressure.Also check all your oils...engine trans and rear....maybe one is low or needs changing...low or worn out oils can make a car feel sluggish.I personally like to use a lightweight synthetic in the rear for extra fuel mileage and acceleration.You can buy 75w95 rated synthetic gear oil that flows like 30w.Also any fat chicks in the car?...this can slow a car down too...so you see there are many things to consider when you feel a power loss.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=99PontTA]what you would feel is poor throtle response and no acceleration.....but this would set a check engine light because the MAP sensor would see low manifold pressure.One way you can check the cats for blockage is to attach a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source then watch the engine vacuum as you rev the engine in park.At idle you should have 18 inches and steady...as you slowly rev it to 3k vacuum should rise up steadily to 20 or more.............if it drops the cats are clogged or blocked.

If you are having a serious power loss there are a few things to check....1st is the gasoline you are buying mixed with 10% ethanol...this will cause a power loss.Check ebrake to be sure its releasing completely,check tire pressures also.Then look at the air filter,fuel filter and fuel pressure.Also check all your oils...engine trans and rear....maybe one is low or needs changing...low or worn out oils can make a car feel sluggish.I personally like to use a lightweight synthetic in the rear for extra fuel mileage and acceleration.You can buy 75w95 rated synthetic gear oil that flows like 30w.Also any fat chicks in the car?...this can slow a car down too...so you see there are many things to consider when you feel a power loss.[/QUOTE

fuel is good dealer checked that for me while diagnosing the car. ebrake and tires pressure good. air filter and fuel filer ar good recently changed with the items above. fule pressure and trans/rearend fluid can be checked. i thought i shouldnt use syenthic fludids in the rear end? i have a 98.

damn. i thought fast chicks could help with traction.

thanks