Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my set of AFR 205cc Heads

Old 08-18-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my set of AFR 205cc Heads

As my mechanic was putting the accessories back together in the car, after swapping in the AFR heads, he ran into a problem with the bolts for the water pump.

Turns out the holes in the AFR heads were too shallow (or too deep, i forgot which), so the stock bolts wouldnt work!

He was able to scrounge around his box of bolts, and find some that work out, but I wish I knew of this on advance, and would have puchased the right bolts up front.

Anyone else run into something like this?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The water pump doesnt connect to the heads. Are you talking about the power steering pump on the drivers side head?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had no problem on any of the hole depths from mine...

Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure he knows what he's doing?

Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Are you sure he knows what he's doing?

I was wondering the same thing when he said the water pump bolts would work on his heads.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto, although I did have an issue with one bolt for the PS pump where it didn't want to go in all the way.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problems here
Old 08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll call tonight, and verify he meant or said, the PS pump.

Yes, I'm sure my mechanic knows what he is doing,
but its me that probably mis-understood the problem part.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets hope so. I'd be kinda worried if my mechanic told me the waterpump wouldn't bolt up to the head right...

Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

All bolts worked fine for me.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

The set I installed last Sunday were fine.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Mine were fine too. If I recall, this (accy hole depth) came up with one of the very early 205 runs and way corrected long ago, find out how long they sat on the shelf.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
Mine were fine too. If I recall, this (accy hole depth) came up with one of the very early 205 runs and way corrected long ago, find out how long they sat on the shelf.
Jeff...

You are correct (well almost....LOL)

There was a concern over accessory hole depth and after evaluating the situation we found out that the General decided to drill different types of castings at different bolt depths. We modeled our casting geometry and locations from a stock LS6 243 casting.....what we came to find out later was that a 5.3 head is deeper than a 243 casting, a 5.7 head was actually more shallow (might have been the other way around....its been awhile). Anyway, we had the room to slightly deepen the threaded accessory holes which we did, now matching the deepest depth that came out of the factory. The heads on my car were pre-production units (one of the first heads to be produced) and I had no bolt depth issues on my C5 install. Why a select few did and most did not I have no clue, but the bottom line is that all the LS1 castings produced in the last 12 months or so incorporate the deeper drilled accessory bolts.

Hope this helps to clear a few things up....

Tony M.

PS....By the way, it's never out of the question that a tap might have broken in one of our CNC machines causing an issue that would have easily gone un-noticed by QC. It's not out of the question that might be the case here if in fact the depth of the hole was checked and found to be different than the others. Just a thought....

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 08-18-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for chiming in Tony.

How can I determine when these heads I purchased, from one of your vendors, was produced?

And is it alright, being that he was able to come up with alternate bolts to fit the holes ?

-------------
There was a concern over accessory hole depth and after evaluating the situation we found out that the General decided to drill different types of castings at different bolt depths. We modeled our casting geometry and locations from a stock LS6 243 casting.....what we came to find out later was that a 5.3 head is deeper than a 243 casting, a 5.7 head was actually more shallow (might have been the other way around....its been awhile). Anyway, we had the room to slightly deepen the threaded accessory holes which we did, now matching the deepest depth that came out of the factory. The heads on my car were pre-production units (one of the first heads to be produced) and I had no bolt depth issues on my C5 install. Why a select few did and most did not I have no clue, but the bottom line is that all the LS1 castings produced in the last 12 months or so incorporate the deeper drilled accessory bolts.

Hope this helps to clear a few things up....

Tony M.

PS....By the way, it's never out of the question that a tap might have broken in one of our CNC machines causing an issue that would have easily gone un-noticed by QC. It's not out of the question that might be the case here if in fact the depth of the hole was checked and found to be different than the others. Just a thought....
Old 08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Thanks for chiming in Tony.

How can I determine when these heads I purchased, from one of your vendors, was produced?

And is it alright, being that he was able to come up with alternate bolts to fit the holes ?
Mike, do you have it up and running yet?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had that same problem with the power steering bracket bolt, My fix was to grind down the nipple at the end of the bolt.(It's also a wieght reduction mod)
Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes.

Yes, yes and yes...the car is up and running, very nicely!

My mechanic was able to get some GM factory bolts for that bracket, which I like a lot, since the GM bolts have the washer and all built right into them.

My alternator bit it, and died after everything was put back together, so I ended up buying another one! But now its running great.

------------
Mike, do you have it up and running yet?

Search this Thread