Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need help Fast..Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need help Fast..Tranny Problem

I was driving my car home tonight, when suddenly my torque converter didn't seem to be locking up. I looked down and I was turning 3000rpm at 50mph. But then when I came to a stop at a light and my car was in OD, it was like taking off in 3rd when the light went green. Then I tried taking off in 1st, 2nd and Drive and they all seemed like 3rd to me. What could be wrong? Is it a shift fork thing?

I was hoping to get my car tuned Sunday, and now this. Mods below.

Black 2002 Z28 A4 T-top
Factory ground effects, clear corners, !Molding, !Badges

Engine bay: 350 LS1 with TR 224/.563/114 cam, chromoly pushrods and titanium retainers, Comp 918 (blue) springs, NGK plugs, MSD 8.5 plug wires, 160 degree stat, TSP Lid w/ SLP Cold Air Induction, TTS LT Headers w/ Corsa cat back
Driveline: Coan Racing Pro Street/Competition 4L60E with 5 pinion planetaries, heavy duty sunshell, billet servo, super input drum, billet fwd piston, high performance band, high energy 3-4 clutch, Coan 3400 2.2 converter, B&M Supercooler, Eaton posi, Motive 3.73 gears w/ T/A Girdle & stud kit, Lakewood DS loop
Suspension: BMR boxed SFCs, BMR panhard rod, BMR LCAs, BMR torque arm, Hotchkiss chromoly STB, 18"x10" Budnik M5 FL wheels, Eradispeed drilled and slotted rotors (Yeah, I know, but they look good), 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sports front, 295/35/18 back.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

First of all there are no shift fork things in auto's. Anyway there was a post up here the other day and it was mentioned that if the car was in limp home mode it would cause the trans to start in third gear. I'll see if I can find it for ya.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

OK found what I was looking for hope this helps.
Pete2k_Z28
TECH Regular

Pete2k_Z28 is Offline:
Posts: 452 Is it shifting? Could be an electrical connection to the trans, that will stick it in a default "limp mode" where you will only have 3rd and reverse. If the car is trying to start out in 3rd the converter will silp up a LOT before the car moves. It's not that uncommon to loosen up a pin on the 20 pin connector when swapping trannies in and out.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by exstanger
OK found what I was looking for hope this helps.
Pete2k_Z28
TECH Regular

Pete2k_Z28 is Offline:
Posts: 452 Is it shifting? Could be an electrical connection to the trans, that will stick it in a default "limp mode" where you will only have 3rd and reverse. If the car is trying to start out in 3rd the converter will silp up a LOT before the car moves. It's not that uncommon to loosen up a pin on the 20 pin connector when swapping trannies in and out.
Yes, this helps a lot, and explains a couple of things, too. I think my PCM wasn't communicating with the tranny, as strange as that may sound. I reset my PCM after I posted last night, and now my car seems fine. I drove it to work this morning. Weird, huh?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

May not be fixed yet tho. I would still check the wiring harness for loose pins or corrosion just to be sure. A loose wire will drive you crazy.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by exstanger
May not be fixed yet tho. I would still check the wiring harness for loose pins or corrosion just to be sure. A loose wire will drive you crazy.
I will. Thanks much for your help.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Alot of times, to get out of limp home mode, you need only to shut the engine off for a minute, then restart. It will be fine until the tranny encounters the same conditions that caused it to go limp in the first place. Any SES codes?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pewterpowre
Alot of times, to get out of limp home mode, you need only to shut the engine off for a minute, then restart. It will be fine until the tranny encounters the same conditions that caused it to go limp in the first place. Any SES codes?
An 02 sensor code, that's all. I haven't had a problem since I limped home that one time.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Well, thats good, I guess....
I would do a fluid and filter change now.