Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasspac between Y-merger and GMMG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasspac between Y-merger and GMMG?

Ok, before you think I'm crazy, let me explain...

The car has TEA 5.3 heads stage 1.5, QTP headers and QTP catted Y-pipe and the GMMG cat back. I also have F13 cam 114 LSA +4.

The car sounds really nice but the drone between 2000 and 2500 rpm is annoying.

So I took the car to a muffler shop I trust and the guy's suggestion was to stick a glasspack mufller after the Y-pipe merger and before the GMMG.

He said it wouldn't sacrifice flow but it would get rid of the drone.

What do you think?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Come on guys... no one?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how well glasspacks flow, but I do think it will kill the drone. How bout a borla xr-1? people really seem to like it.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see how that will stop it.

I would like to add something about rasp and drone if you dont mind. I have had different exhaust and have installed many different exhaust on other cars so Im familiar with all of the sounds that these cars make.

Rasp needs to be defined a little better on this forum. From what I can tell, people are calling rasp different things. I have a Hooker catback on my car and most people says it has no rasp. Well, it does have rasp. It has rasp under my meaning of rasp. The rasp is only between 2200 and 2800 rpm's at heavy throttle. Light throttle can avoid it.

Drone is just where the exhaust resonates. All sounds resonate at some frequency. All mufflers resonate. Most resonate at low rpm's and can resonate at 2 seperate rpm's. The glasspack I believe is straight through. It may change what rpm the drone occurs and may even lessen the audible drone somewhat. Its still going to drone whether you hear it or not.

Its worth a shot. I have just gotten used to the sounds of LS1 engines myself. They have what I think is a nasty (not good) sound around 2500 rpm's when under a load.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

I agree. I don't have rasp under 3500 rpm and it only happens at WOT.

The sound quality of my setup is really good, I like it, but it's just impossible to carry a conversation when driving normally through the gears. It's a nice sound but it's just too loud.

The loud "whuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" sound inside is what I define as drone and I wonder if the glasspack would kill it or at least move it up on the RPMs. When I'm at WOT I could care less how loud it gets, after all it's WOT.

But driving around has to be less annoying, hence the question.... to glasspack it or not?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey freak, how about getting your car around 2000 rpm's and hold it steady in 3rd gear. Now roll into the throttle using about 1/2 throttle and tell me you dont hear the spot around 2500 where the exhaust changes and then goes back to normal once your up to 3k. I admit that I have yet to put a GMMG on a car but it did it even with my true duals. I thinks its just the LS1. LT1 cars do not do it that I know of.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks man! No no, the site is not updated yet. I have everything installed already. QTP Long Tube headers and QTP Y-Pipe. The GMMG I have for a while now.

As for the tip on changing the gears, my setup gets less annoying as the rpms go up. I can control the loudness of the drone somewhat depending the way I drive the car, but I want to be able to drive it normally without annoying passengers (that usually are women )
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe of my GMMG...it cut down on some of the rasp, but there still is some...here's a pic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=37980
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice! I noticed you have no cats though... I do have cats but I still think it's too loud. I wonder how mine would sound with what you did...
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I put a Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe of my GMMG...it cut down on some of the rasp, but there still is some...here's a pic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=37980
Damn your undercaraige is clean. I clean mine to but they put some kind of protection(kind of like rhino lining) on my car. I heard it was for car that would have to deal with snow.
i clean mine but never looks clean
Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

let me know if you guys get any sound clips. Very Interested!!! I have no cats and I get some rasp. It's really loud. Let me know if the borla muffler or the glasspack sounds better.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

I tried several different options to clean up exhaust sound and only two were effective - the 5" round Borla Xr1 or have stainless works make you a 3" length of chambered - about 24 to 26" long (measure yours from the Y to the turn upwards - I was able to get a 30" in there). The borla is a bit more effective but is in the way of the drive shaft when jack the car up and clearance is tight, and the stainless works peice looks much better so your choice.

Those are the only two that were effective, not bullets, glass packs, etc. and I tried several.

I did not try the spiral flows though so I can't comment on those.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Default .

I have a glasspack on my 93 ..has no rasp...but then again its an LT1....sounds nice and deep.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I tried several different options to clean up exhaust sound and only two were effective - the 5" round Borla Xr1 or have stainless works make you a 3" length of chambered - about 24 to 26" long (measure yours from the Y to the turn upwards - I was able to get a 30" in there). The borla is a bit more effective but is in the way of the drive shaft when jack the car up and clearance is tight, and the stainless works peice looks much better so your choice.

Those are the only two that were effective, not bullets, glass packs, etc. and I tried several.

I did not try the spiral flows though so I can't comment on those.
The stainless works piece that you're talking about...Does it look like a gmmg muffler, or what?? Do you have any pics or sound clips?