Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

adding speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding speakers

Hey guys,

Got a question. A friend of mine asked me a couple days ago to add 4 4" speakers to her stock stereo system. She already has 4 stock speakers and an aftermarket jensen receiver. How would I add speakers?? Run everything off an amp and run two speakers off each channel or what? Thanks for your help!

-Alex
Old 08-19-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I don't fully understand what you're asking. Are you just replacing the stock 4" speakers with aftermarket ones, or are you adding 4 extra speakers in addition to the stock ones? If you're just replacing them, hook it up and go-no need for an external amp unless you want to. If you're adding them, which I honestly don't know why you'd want 8 4" speakers, you could add an external 4 channel amp and run each channel at 2 ohms, which most amps will do no problem. You would just wire two speakers per channel in parallel. Hope this helps, and if not, please clarify.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I'm adding them....I don't why she wants it either, but oh well. Could I just leave the four stock speakers hooked up to the receiver and run the four new ones off of an amp? Wouldn't that be better than running two per channel off the amp? Or no?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Running off an amp than the head unit would be better. Increasing the number of speakers doesnt change the sound quality unless you are running cross overs. It might get a little louder, but it would be better to upgrade the speakers that are already in the factory location. Kick panels would improve both however.