Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Drops at stop lights after pulley install....help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Drops at stop lights after pulley install....help

well i love my pulley dont get me wrong here....but i noticed at stop lights the voltage meter will drop down to around the 10-11 area.....as soon as i start going again its fine....i went with the powerbond as u can see in my sig....also in park the voltage seems normal......last night i was pulling out of the driveway and had the headlights on and everytime id touch the brakes the lights would dim out until i let off....any voltage boosters or anything i can do here at home to help this?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump your idle up 50-100 using a programmer. The small pully size means the motor must spin faster to produce the same voltage.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

i dont have a programmer just yet so is there any other way to handle this? Thanks for the suggestion though Nasty....funds just wont allow it right now.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the only way to take care of this is to bump up your idle speed or get a better alternator.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

i can do a better alternator probably...any suggestions or links to where i can pick one up?.....is the diablosport predator tuner capable of bumping the idle up?.....if it is i might just go that route even though its going to hurt my pocket it will probly be good for the car because my fuel trims need tuned too.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Teching In

why not an overdrive alt pulley? would bump up alt rpm and keep volts up
Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by #1T/A
why not an overdrive alt pulley? would bump up alt rpm and keep volts up

I personally would never do an underdrive crank without overdriving the alt.........bumping the idle up to make up for an underdriven alt is a bandaid and rather well....dumb on an auto car because now you are putting extra load on the converter/brakes at the stop light........
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

if powerbond made one and told u what size belt to use id definately buy one....i noticed ASP sells them together....could i just buy their overdrive alt. pulley and use the belts they use with their kit?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
bumping the idle up to make up for an underdriven alt is a bandaid and rather well....dumb on an auto car because now you are putting extra load on the converter/brakes at the stop light........
kind of what i was thinking and want to avoid doing that if possible
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA
if powerbond made one and told u what size belt to use id definately buy one....i noticed ASP sells them together....could i just buy their overdrive alt. pulley and use the belts they use with their kit?

should be able to.......I would THINK the ASP size belt would fit with your under drive pulley but I would get them from Napa/AutoZone/etc. and buy a size larger and a size smaller just to make sure you didn't get stuck....then take the belts you don't use back (if all my rambling made any since)....
Old 08-19-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem but really its nothing to worry about. Your battery is not going to die from this. One thing else you could try is using led bulbs on all the brakes and running lights they use significatly less voltage to run than the stockers.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not dumb...it's the most common method of fixing the problem. Bumping the idle up 100rpm on an auto will not overstress your brakes or trans enough to cause damage to them.