Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a fast M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a fast M3

I was heading to a restruant to have breakfast with my GF when I see a BMW M3 coming up fast, He rides my tail and then punches it past me riding real clost past the side of my car,I dont do any thing since there is a cop station coming up soon and there was traffic. so we drive a little till we get to a stop light, the ligh turn green and we both go a little easy off the line and then we both punch it, I run through 1 st, 2nd, and part of 3rd shifting at 62K RPM, I put about a car and a half on him,we get to another light and yell over to him you wanna loose worse this time(to try and egg him on)then I open my cutout's this time and give him a rev, the light turn green and we both punch it harder this time,I get some tire spin as my car is rear end is wipping left to right as I lay into it fish tailing I keep the car going strait not letting off and go through 1st, 2nd and 3rd before I shut down, again I had about a car and a half on him, he then does th ricer fly by and rev's his engine and takes off before I could give him the thumbs up and props for his ride, I wish I could have asked him what he did to his car and the chance to give him some prop's, BTW this was on all motor no nitrous.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

good kill. Those cars are very quick off the line
Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are pretty quick cars and not for nothing i luv the way the engine sounds when those things are opened up.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx guy's, I think this guy was running a 150 to 200 shot of nirous or somthing, He was waaaay faster than the tipical 325Hp M3 which makes for a fun race, I looked on one of the BMW M3 forums and I dont see a HP development section?

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-22-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 AM
roy
TECH Resident

62K rpms, Gawd Damn that some serious spinning of the crankshaft. Are you sure you don't have blue pistons?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SmaknSS
Thanx guy's, I think this guy was running a 150 to 200 shot of nirous or somthing, He was waaaay faster than the tipical 325Hp M3 which makes for a fun race, I looked on one of the BMW M3 forums and I dont see a HP development section?
Thats because their motors dont make much power without $10,000 heads and cams, or 11 grand superchargers. My cousin did, headers, intake, catback, chip and some other **** and only ended up with 11 more horses for like 4 grand worth of stuff.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow he def had to have something done to his M3 to keep up with you through 3 gears, even with wheel spin on the launch of the second race. My buddy has a bone stock M3 and I have the mods in my sig (basically headers and catback) and I usually beat him by 2-4 cars going from a roll of about 40-100+ mph. His is a vert though so its a little ehavier than the coupe but still he cant edge me out unless I miss a shift or spin my wheels. The races are all pretty close but your car, with 400+ rwhp would walk him like a dog so im sure the M3 you raced had to have nitrous or some power adder to keep up with you. I only guess nitrous because im sure you probably would have been able to hear the whine of a supercharger or a turbo spool up. As Bigman said they are very expensive to modify and you dont get a whole lot of extra HP without serious engine work so my guess is spray or a TON of engine work. Either way nice kills on a fast M3!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roy
62K rpms, Gawd Damn that some serious spinning of the crankshaft. Are you sure you don't have blue pistons?
I mean 6.2K RPM's
Old 08-22-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Wow he def had to have something done to his M3 to keep up with you through 3 gears, even with wheel spin on the launch of the second race. My buddy has a bone stock M3 and I have the mods in my sig (basically headers and catback) and I usually beat him by 2-4 cars going from a roll of about 40-100+ mph. His is a vert though so its a little ehavier than the coupe but still he cant edge me out unless I miss a shift or spin my wheels. The races are all pretty close but your car, with 400+ rwhp would walk him like a dog so im sure the M3 you raced had to have nitrous or some power adder to keep up with you. I only guess nitrous because im sure you probably would have been able to hear the whine of a supercharger or a turbo spool up. As Bigman said they are very expensive to modify and you dont get a whole lot of extra HP without serious engine work so my guess is spray or a TON of engine work. Either way nice kills on a fast M3!
I't would have been nice to see what he had,He was definately fast cause I can definatly drive.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Teching In

herm, I made my way over to these forums for the swap sections.
was its a new

Engine

No. of cylinders/valves per cyl. 6/4
Displacement acc. to ECE Reg. in ccm 3,246
Stroke/Bore in mm 91.0/87.0
Nominal power (kW) at 1/min 252/7,900
Max. torque (Nm) at 1/min 365/4,900
IF its the new one and it was Super fast and you could near almost no change in shifting, then it might have had an SMGII in race setting.
the SMGII is paddle shifting tech, think F-1 racing.

* Shifting can occur faster than even an expert driver can achieve. (as fast as 80 milliseconds)*
* 2 modes: Sequential and Automated
* 5 DRIVELOGIC programs controlling gearshift actuation
* SMG revs the throttle during downshifts to help modulate engine braking.
* A BMW Motorsport inspired gearbox with Formula One style controls.
* An alternative manual transmission you can shift in quick succession to move rapidly through the gears
* Shift lights maximize engine performance (sequential mode)
*If you can shift faster then this, I'd like to see it.

And if the person has money to throw away they could also have installed an activeautowerke Stage 2 S/C (400+hp) ontop of the SMG2,
Performance Specs Level II
Power: 499 BHP @ 7500 rpm
Torque: 388 ft/lbs @ 5500 rpm
0 - 60 mph: 4.2 sec
1/4 mile: 12.4 @ 116 mph
Boost Level: 7.5psi

now he could have also had some silly looking vents on the top of his hood, this would mean is prolly the M3 -GTR version.

By using carbon fibre body parts and by completely foregoing any comfort equipment, the two-seater M3 GTR is a car for true purists. An empty weight of approx. 1350 kilograms has been achieved. The 4.0 litre V8 engine with a cylinder bank angle of 90 degrees resembles the race version featuring in excess of 450 hp
the GTR is nothing to sneez at Link to 1 really fast lap

or and Old
??

------------------------
Note: the Old style M3 also had "Evo's" these put out some where in the 350hp area, and where extreamly light weight salons.
But I would have to agree with you, the BMW engin is a HUGE money hole.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

M3 make 333hp not 325 and the euro. version makes 345hp
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually the SMG-equipped M3's are a tad slower than the standard-clutch M3's.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by erikerikerik
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yea thats a pimp *** lookin M3. How loud is the whine on the S/C system on the 7.5 psi you listed above Erick? If its real stealth then it might have been tough for smaknss to hear over his open cutouts. Also, how much to those M3's weigh?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

The M3's have a HUGE *** and are very VERY heavy.
M3
Weight 3415lbs
M3-CSL
Weight 3,053lbs
M3-GTR
Weight 2,425lbs
that seams REALLY light for a M3, I'll look to see if thats a Road or Race version. But since its in the GTR class racing, if it is the race version, the road wont be that much more.
--------------------
bmw's need back pressure and a lot comes from the muffler. I doubte he would be able to hear the SC, maybe a WOT at a stand still. But thats not all that easy if it was a SC + SMG. Remember the SMG2 can shift faster then any human can. And in everything shy of the F1 class racing its deamed an unfair advantage and is illigal.

however have any of you heard of ZeroShift ???
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the looks this car did not strike me as a mint new BMW, I figure I't was a model year between 00-04, but I could be wrong, I was more concentrated on driving at the time. this BMW looked more like the gold one in the pic's above with out the ground effects.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

"M3 GTR is a car for true purists. An empty weight of approx. 1350 kilograms has been achieved."

1350 kilos is 2970 pounds. Makes way more sense. That's completely empty, too. Figure 9lbs./gallon of oil, at ~3 gallons. Tranny fluid. Brake fluid, etc. When they measure empty, there ain't a lick in it. Lucky to keep it under 3000lbs.

The other weights are probably off by similar amounts.

Jim
Old 08-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Teching In

meh, every one diss's the newer 00-05 M3s. but BMW knows they let the ball drop with it.
the next line up of M3s are slated to run at
M3 401 HP
Now to really confuse you, there is rumer to be a
M3-2D and a M3-4D
======
back to topic at hand, when you say you beat out the new M3's, no surpise right from the start you are lighter AND have more hp/tq. Then again in their deffence, the're the big dogs on the GTR/PTG ranks.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking you ran into a supercharged one...rare, but they're out there. I have vids of an E36 M3 (previous, boxy body style) that was supercharged that was neck and neck with a lightly modded Ferrari 360.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by erikerikerik
meh, every one diss's the newer 00-05 M3s. but BMW knows they let the ball drop with it.
the next line up of M3s are slated to run at
Now to really confuse you, there is rumer to be a
M3-2D and a M3-4D
======
back to topic at hand, when you say you beat out the new M3's, no surpise right from the start you are lighter AND have more hp/tq. Then again in their deffence, the're the big dogs on the GTR/PTG ranks.
Yea im not hating on m3's at all, they are amazing machines and i would buy one in a second if I found a good deal. M3's are complete machines, they do everything well, and are luxurious at the same time. Haha I love it when my buddy goes out drinking and takes his car, ill be the designated driver just to whip around in his M3. No need to defend them at all.