Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

convertible speakers

Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question convertible speakers

I was wondering if someone could help me out on this. I don't know much about h/u, amps and speakers. I do know most of the threads in here talk about coupe systems. I believe the vert is set up without as many speakers.
I would like to replace my speakers with something slightly better (front and rear door) I don't really want to replace the h/u, steering wheel controls or amp if at all possible and I don't play music WOT, just want something a little cleaner than the stock set up.
I read about the alpine sps170a's on here...would they apply to the vert, front and rear? I know they are 4 ohm, not 2, but I never play full volumn so a llittle volumn loss would be ok. I can probably handle the install and have the full factory manuals, audio is not my thing.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

The setup in the vert is similar to the one in the coupe. So what you read in this forum can be applied. A few different things you want to consider:
1. the sail panel speakers must have very small magnets they won't interfere with the roof's control mechanism. You can get away with using spacers but still you don't want too thick magnets in there.
2. We don't have the 4" speakers in the hatch so don't worry about them.
3. The worse part is to find locations for the amp rack and sub box.

I know you don't want to replace HU and amp. But if you want to replace speakers, you might better go with a new amp too as the stock amp is hard to find matching speakers. This is the same as in the coupe.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoneflye
I was wondering if someone could help me out on this. I don't know much about h/u, amps and speakers. I do know most of the threads in here talk about coupe systems. I believe the vert is set up without as many speakers.
I would like to replace my speakers with something slightly better (front and rear door) I don't really want to replace the h/u, steering wheel controls or amp if at all possible and I don't play music WOT, just want something a little cleaner than the stock set up.
I read about the alpine sps170a's on here...would they apply to the vert, front and rear? I know they are 4 ohm, not 2, but I never play full volumn so a llittle volumn loss would be ok. I can probably handle the install and have the full factory manuals, audio is not my thing.
Thanks
What year 'vert do you have? Verts didn't get Monsoon systems until '99, before that the amp and speaker setup is pretty "traditional" (i.e.: more compatable w/ aftermarket amps w/ line level inputs, speakers etc). Check the link in my sig for an idea on a sub-box.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like he doesnt want to put a subwoofer in it. Its kinda pointless to put a sub in a vert anyways. Rear speakers arent that important. Just get a decent set of front 6.5 components, and a amp to power them. You can fit the amp under the seat, or possibly behind the dash.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I have a 2000 ss, with a monsoon audio w/ 12 disc changer (RPO U59) I think I only want to replace the front midrange and rear woofer (2 ohm) Actually one of the front speakers sounds a little flat. So I was thinking about freshening things up a little. Now what I'm, wondering is, if I can't find a good solution working around this 2 ohm problem is if I can hook an aftermarket amp up to the factory h/u and run everthing at 4 ohms which would give me a better choice of speakers to choose from. Again I don't have a lot of knowledge of audio stuff, but do most of my own mechanical work. Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Well, supposedly the rear subwoofer output goes to the rear side panel speakers (tweeter 4u & woofer 2u) and thats as far as I want to go. I don't need to build additional stuff into it. I just want to clean it up some. Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going through the same dilemna now. Unlike the coupe, all the speakers are powered off the amp. The vert amp is "8" channel, powering each mid/sub separately from the tweeters. The tweeters are all 4 Ohm the mid/subs are all 2 Ohm. I changed head units and it works just fine but when you crank up the stock speakers the bass makes them crap out pretty badly. My head unit allows me to set a high pass filter and I could get huge volume of the stock speakers and stock amp as long as I limited the bass going to them. I added a sub in this thread.

I want more bass in the front and I tried Inifinity speakers back in the winter and they sounded like crap with the stock amp. I connected the single 4 Ohm Infinity to the mid leads in the door. I even tried the speaker off the head unit directly but the door speakers need a lot power to make good volume so right now I have aftermarket head unit, factory amp and speakers and the added somewhat underpowered sub in the trunk. There is no simple upgrade from here that I can tell. I need a new amp, and new speakers.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

You would be much better off converting your front speakers to 4 ohm, and getting a seperate amp. You can still keep the stock deck. There is amps out there that have bridge capabilities so you can run speakers + a bridged connection for a sub.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLOW ME FASTR
Its kinda pointless to put a sub in a vert anyways.
Why do you think so? I have a sub in my vert and it makes the system sound nicer, so I don't quite agree with your statement.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I agree, if any car NEEDS a sub, it's a 'vert.

Now as far as the Monsoon system goes, a few people have been sucessful merging aftermarket stuff w/ it. But it seems like the best solution is to gut the amp / speakers and go aftermarket. In retrospect, I'm glad I don't have to deal w/ the Monsoon.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I agree, if any car NEEDS a sub, it's a 'vert.

Now as far as the Monsoon system goes, a few people have been sucessful merging aftermarket stuff w/ it. But it seems like the best solution is to gut the amp / speakers and go aftermarket. In retrospect, I'm glad I don't have to deal w/ the Monsoon.
I'm beginning to think that's the right way to go. Would anyone have an idea what amp would be a good replacement for the monsoon one in the 2000 vert? Thanks.

Search this Thread