Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Open or closed Air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open or closed Air cleaner?

Settle this argument between me and a co-worker:

Regarding my 85 Chevy Impala, I say that an open Air Cleaner allows more air into the carb. HE says that the air going into the carb with an open Air Cleaner installed is going to be hot air, since the open air cleaner basically takes in the air from the engine compartment and can't be routed there from anywhere else, by design. The stock Air cleaner works better in his opinion.
What do YOU say?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closed is better if the air is being taken from outside the engine compartment (example of this would be a cold or ram air style system). Otherwise an open cleaner will work fine.

Just my $.02

Derek
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Closed is better if the air is being taken from outside the engine compartment (example of this would be a cold or ram air style system). Otherwise an open cleaner will work fine.

Just my $.02

Derek
Your $.02 is appreciated. I've read some of your other posts and your sig tells me that I need to ask you some questions. My car isn't a Muscle car. It's a family car with a GM 350 and a THM700 R-4, but I want to get more performance out of it. I'm eventually going to do an engine and trans swap when budget will allow, but for now I wanted to deal with the air cleaner issue. My stock air cleaner doesn't get it's air from outside the engine compartment like Ram Air. It has about a sixteen inch long tube that sits offcenter and appears to me to be restrictive. I was thinking that an open air cleaner would bring more air into the carb, but was concerned that the air coming in from the engine compartment would be hot air going into the carb.
When I do swap out the engine, I'm sticking with a carbed setup so if you say open Air cleaner is better, I'll stick with that, after getting one. I was looking at an Edlebrock 14 inch tonight, then read the small print that says- "not for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles. I know I have to test for emmissions next year and since I don't have OBD II in this car, they're going to look for the emmissions equipment. I figure I can swap out the Open Air for the stock before testing. Your thoughts?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
7 Second Club

You're correct in that a stock closed air cleaner with a snorkel is usually more restrictive than an open element style one. Chances are a 14 inch diameter should work fine, but try to use at least a 3" high element, and a K & N (or other washable filter than flows better than paper) for best performance. My Nova had a 14 x 4 air cleaner, and going to a ram air kit made for better performance at the track and on the street, but an open cleaner will still offer you better performance than the stock set-up. And the swapping out for emissions should work fine.

Derek
Old 08-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks Derek,

I got the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 14" Open Air Cleaner. Will get the K&N filter in a day or two. It turns out that this open Air Cleaner has holes for both my PCV Valve and the tube coming from my Air Reaction Injection (AIR) system, so I should be fine for emissions with all my tubes hooked up.

I'll have more questions for you later. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Launching!

I'd stick with the stock air cleaner for emissions. My thought is with the open element, more air will get in, and the O2 sensor will read lean, therefore injecting more fuel in.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Hmmm... Ok. I'll keep and swap out the oem air cleaner for this one when I go for emmissions next year. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the Edlebrock Pro-Flo.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Open or closed Air cleaner?