Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help wire

ok i have a 2000 ws6 trans am ok i have a problem with my wirr my stock tach ans speedo and gas don't work. but if i hook up the yellow power to my deck and the red power to my deck te work wtf is going on but the funny thing is my friends z28 did the samething to day

thanks
jonathan
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Is that English?

Let me see if I can figure out what you're asking. You have a problem with your "wirr" which seems to be affecting your gauges (tach, speedo, and fuel). But they work when you hook up the power wires to your stereo. Is that it?

What modifications have you done to your wiring (especially recently)? Did you just install the stereo? Perhaps some aftermarket gauges? More information will help us figure out what could be causing the problem.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

i have stock gauges and a aftermarket deck to get my stock gauges to work i have hook up the red and yellow deck wires togather
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, since your radio wires have absolutely nothing to do with your gauges, I would guess that you have blown a fuse. Connecting the two wires together is allowing power to backfeed to the gauges - essentially bypassing the blown fuse to power the gauges. Try replacing the #9 fuse labeled GAUGES (10 amp) in the fuse panel and see if that solves the problem.

By the way, there is no red wire in the original radio harness - orange is battery power and yellow is ignition-controlled power. Double check that you made your connections properly and that they are tight and properly insulated in case that's what caused a fuse to blow.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Well, since your radio wires have absolutely nothing to do with your gauges, I would guess that you have blown a fuse. Connecting the two wires together is allowing power to backfeed to the gauges - essentially bypassing the blown fuse to power the gauges. Try replacing the #9 fuse labeled GAUGES (10 amp) in the fuse panel and see if that solves the problem.

By the way, there is no red wire in the original radio harness - orange is battery power and yellow is ignition-controlled power. Double check that you made your connections properly and that they are tight and properly insulated in case that's what caused a fuse to blow.
Here's the catch, we've checked all the fuses and they're good. With the way things are happening, it sounds like maybe a grounding problem. When we tried reinstalling his receiver, it was having more problems than I've ever seen. I think maybe the best way would be to start all over with the wiring. New harnesses and all to help solve the problem. When the gauges weren't working, he'd tie the two wires from behind the receiver together and then the gauges worked. I've never seen anything like it. Has anyone else had this problem?