Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing cover issue with dual Rollmaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing cover issue with dual Rollmaster

I searched this forum and it appears that nobody else has had this problem.

I have the engine out and on the engine stand, so getting to everything is easy.

I installed a Rollmaster dual timing chain and SLP LS6 oil pump. I used the shims as directed by Rollmaster. My problem is the timing chain cover. It sticks out too far and will not bolt up. I also understand that there is to be 22 thousands of and inch of clearance between the oil pump and the front cover. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

The motor is out of an 02 Camaro.

Also, since the motor is out, do you guys reccomend changing the rod bolts to ARP?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is a common interference. Just put the cover into position without the gasket and move it slightly side to side. This will make an impression on the inside of the cover. Just take a grinder and remove some material in that location. You dont have to get crazy just a little bit. There is usually two spots that hit.

Hope that helps.

Bryan
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

The Guy From Slp Told Me Not To Install The Spacer? Had The Same Problem So I Called Them. That Chain And Then Pump Wont Hint
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help Bryan. I went out to the garage and checked it out and it appears to be hitting right around the area behind the front main seal. I would have to remove a fair amount of material from the cover in this area. Won't that affect the front seal?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Teching In

But if I remove the spacers, the chain does hit the back of the pump. Did you take any material from the back of the pump?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Launching!

I Didnt, IT LOOKS LIKE IT BUT IT DOESNT. ATLEAST ON MINES
Old 08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine was ground. I'd rather grind the cover a little rather than grind on the pump...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by zkeller
Thanks for the help Bryan. I went out to the garage and checked it out and it appears to be hitting right around the area behind the front main seal. I would have to remove a fair amount of material from the cover in this area. Won't that affect the front seal?
Don't remove the spacers. Just grind enough to make it clear. You will not have a problem with the seal. Make sure every thing is real clean before you button it up.

Bryan
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

defenently don't grind on the pump. Use the spacers. I didn't have any interferance issues however. I don't see why some would and some wouldn't! Just different cams I guess!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've installed something improperly and grinding the back face of the front cover is not the way to correct this error. Is the Cam chain/oil pump drive sprocket seated fully home against the boss on the crank? If you look at a single chain sprocket next to a dual chain sprocket you see that the keyways for the oil pump drive sprocket are not as deep on the dual drive sprocket. The pump sits forward by 3mm to allow for the extra chain ring on the dual sprocket. The shims make up this difference. There aren't too many ways to screw this install up, but not having that sprocket seated fully home against the crank boss is one of them. Be SURE the sprocket is snug up against the boss.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to use the spacers. The interference in just behind the seal. The steel pump cover has a couple of impressions on it. Those are what are hitting. Dont grind, rather belt sand the steel plate flat. Why some do and dont I dont know. You need to set up your oil pump (align it) after that.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
You've installed something improperly and grinding the back face of the front cover is not the way to correct this error. Is the Cam chain/oil pump drive sprocket seated fully home against the boss on the crank? If you look at a single chain sprocket next to a dual chain sprocket you see that the keyways for the oil pump drive sprocket are not as deep on the dual drive sprocket. The pump sits forward by 3mm to allow for the extra chain ring on the dual sprocket. The shims make up this difference. There aren't too many ways to screw this install up, but not having that sprocket seated fully home against the crank boss is one of them. Be SURE the sprocket is snug up against the boss.
This is the problem.. I used my old crank sprocket to tap the new dual sprocket all the way home. No clearance issues....

Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SideStep
This is the problem.. I used my old crank sprocket to tap the new dual sprocket all the way home. No clearance issues....

Old 08-24-2005, 07:23 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

w3rd.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Got it all straightened out.

Speed shop called SLP and they said to NOT use the spacers that come with the Rollmaster dual chain. Their pump clears the chain. You can see on the back of the pump where they removed some material. Also, once I torqued the ATI dampner down, it pulled the gear back a little more and made for a bit more clearance.

No grinding required. Thanks for all the input. Zach
Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way was it that easy on my '97 block. I would never advise any grinding unless I thought it were absolutly necessary. Could be my '97 pump and/or timing cover is a little different. Glad it all worked out.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Like I Said , Slp Told Me The Same Thing
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

So you not only changed to a dual Rollmaster, but you also went to an SLP aftermarket oil pump too? If SLP machined the 4 mounting bosses on the back face of the oil pump by 3mm you don't need the shims. This is the first I'm hearing of this feature on the SLP pump. They should make it better known especially to those who buy and install their pump. It's not a bad idea at all if you buy their dual chain and pump as a kit and use them together.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 08-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Launching!

yea when u buy both they dont say **** about it. till u are braking ur headtrying to find out why **** aint working so u call them. then they will tell u
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TA BOY
yea when u buy both they dont say **** about it. till u are braking ur headtrying to find out why **** aint working so u call them. then they will tell u
that for sure would **** me off. im hot just reading it.
i cant stand buying stuff.... usually with lil or no directions.
half the time its common knowledge, or you have done it before and know.
thanks slp.