Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the FRA and now I'm hooked

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Did the FRA and now I'm hooked

Well today I did the Free Ram Air mod. I was a bit skeptical at first that this could possibly have any noticeable effect. But decided to give it a try anyway. Well I sure did notice the difference the throttle response is improved quite a bit as promised and it cost nothing! I'm sure it free'd up a few extra horsies too but probably negligible. It feels so great to do something to the car and notice a very positive difference in the way it drives. I'm afraid I'm hooked now... next is a lid, MAF, Headers woohoo!! let the fun begin... too bad I'm broke
Old 08-25-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing and noticed a definite difference. That's how it all got started for me as well. The problem now is I'm deep in to it. It's a money pit for sure.

The good thing is you will always have something to think about, like what to do next. Cutouts and lids are inexspensive. I'm going to be replacing my SLP Loudmouth exhaust next week, let me know if you are interested, I will sell it cheap, I bought it new just 2 years ago and 10,000 miles ago for a cost of $349. It's to loud now that I have headers. Buy your mods used and you can save a ton of $$, don't do like me and buy everything new. I work many weekends to pay for the mods and then I turn around and almost give the stuff away because I have no where to store it.

Good luck and have fun, these f-bodys can be made to go fast.

Eddie
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I did it when I put my lid on and with those 2 mods done the car pulled much stronger at high speeds. BTW Luna, i'd take up Eddie on that LM, I love mine!!! Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

since your halfway done get some type of RA kit.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

when i got my car i said i was going to just do the basic boltons, not even headers. now i have headers, am gettin a good size cam in a month or so, and have been looking at 9" rear ends. it gets addicting and your bank account will defenately shrink fast
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

dont get a MAF. the stock one will be fine for a while
Old 08-25-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

I think that when people claim to notice 5rwhp or less, that it's actually wishful thinking. I did lid, throttlebody, and Corsa (an estimated 25rwhp gain all together), and I BARELY could notice anything. And when I added a 75shot nitrous, I couldn't feel much of a difference then either. I thought it was going to be this instant rush and I would definitely feel it, I was wrong. The only thing I noticed is that the RPM's went up faster, and that's it. The car didn't actually feel much faster then it was before. I seriously doubt you could notice such an insignificant gain.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

don't get a granatelli maf for sure. i have one, a waste of money. car started throwing codes adn gas mileage got worse. also, don't waste the money on BBK Tb, just get a ported 1
Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Launching!

If you like free then don't forget the TB bypass, thermostat mod, TB porting, manual fan switch. I did all of the above for about $10. Not quite free, but dang near.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoltan
I think that when people claim to notice 5rwhp or less, that it's actually wishful thinking. I did lid, throttlebody, and Corsa (an estimated 25rwhp gain all together), and I BARELY could notice anything. And when I added a 75shot nitrous, I couldn't feel much of a difference then either. I thought it was going to be this instant rush and I would definitely feel it, I was wrong. The only thing I noticed is that the RPM's went up faster, and that's it. The car didn't actually feel much faster then it was before. I seriously doubt you could notice such an insignificant gain.
Change the jets then. My 150 shot puts me back in the seat pretty damn good. I defenitaly feel it.