Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t rex q's

Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
c50
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t rex q's

i did a search but i have a few more q's.

1.will the cam work well with 3.90 gears and a M6? TR's site suggests 4.10's but i don't personally think it will be that big of a difference.

2. How streetable is this cam?

3. What kinds of gas milage would I be looking at seeing

4. I read that it works with untouched heads but what if they are port and polished with a vavle job? Would you have to flycut the heads?

5. Whats a ball park price for cam, springs and whatever else may be needed?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.thunderracing.com/
Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the stock heads are just taken and port and polished, no milling, no diff combustion chamber, it will still clear with no flycutting.

You cut the pistons, not the heads btw.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:15 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SPECS

Thunder Racing TRx V.2 - 242/248 .608/.612 110lsa +2

Piston to Valve clearance

When going with a cam of this size, piston to valve clearance becomes more of a concern. Both of these cams are well within the spec of allowable clearance with stock heads and stock shortblock. They are, however, on the tight side of the spec, but definitely something that can be used with the proper attention being paid to the install (intake centerline) and valvetrain selection.

The cams have the following PtV with a stock cylinder head (stock valves, stock valvejob, no milling), '98/'99 GM graphite gasket (.053", compressed), stock shortblock (pistons .007" above deck), and a 108* intake centerline:

V.2: Intake .070", Exhaust .090"

For those that feel that this is too tight and are uncomfortable with this clearance, we do offer the ISKY flycutting tool which will make valve reliefs in your stock pistons. The heads do need to be removed to perform this task, so be prepared to purchase new gaskets and bolts. You can notch the pistons with the motor still in the car. You can also just select a smaller camshaft and not have to worry about any of this.

The pistons in my car are not notched and I have had no problems with any PtV.

Valvetrain

We recommend either the Comp 921s or Crane 144832 dual springs due to the aggressive nature of this cam. Thunder Racing 7.400" hardended pushrods are needed as well.

Tuning and Driveability

Tuning is going to be an absolute must with either of these cams to get the idle and driveability sorted out. Once the tuning is taken care of, for a cam of this size, it drives pretty well. Still, this cam is not for the faint of heart. It was designed for those looking for a cam that makes very impressive power with stock heads. It can be used in a daily driver if you don't mind the driving characteristics of a large cam. For those looking to drive this cam everyday, I would recommend a complete tuning session, gears (4:10s or steeper in a M6), and a loose converter in an A4 car.

From my limited street time with the V.2, it really is quite driveable. I just put 25 miles on the car in the last hour with the Hooker catback installed and it is much better now with some additional tuning Geoff did.

We will be spending a full day early next week taking care of the final driveability tuning. It is 10x better than what it was with the stock tuning.

Rest assured, this only the beginning of the new camshafts Thunder Racing will be offering. The V.3 is already in the works.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding this cam, post here or sent me an email (jason99ta@hotmail.com). I'll be more than happy to help you as best as possible.

Jason
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by c50
i did a search but i have a few more q's.

1.will the cam work well with 3.90 gears and a M6? TR's site suggests 4.10's but i don't personally think it will be that big of a difference.

2. How streetable is this cam?

3. What kinds of gas milage would I be looking at seeing

4. I read that it works with untouched heads but what if they are port and polished with a vavle job? Would you have to flycut the heads?

5. Whats a ball park price for cam, springs and whatever else may be needed?

Thanks!!!

with 2 posts im leaning to say youve never had a cammed late model....

at first i thought i needed the the T-rex also.... but some of my friends from holley suggested to go smaller....

i would suggest at least 4.30 gears with that cam.....

i have a thunder cam now and am very happy with it... its the 230/236 and it is plenty for a daily driver....

if its your first cam i would not divulge in the 240 duration just yet....

just trying to help you out... take it how you like.

Tyler

Search this Thread